Middle East Institute at Columbia University is providing the Fellowships for Intensive Language Study opportunities for the students seeking assistance to obtain higher education. The fellowships include Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship and Theodore De Barry Language Study Fellowship. The applicants who are undergraduate students are encouraged to apply for the scholarship.
The purpose of introducing the Fellowships for Intensive Language Study is to present support to the students acquiring modern foreign languages and area or international studies competencies. Qualified students will be granted financial assistance to help them achieve educational excellence. The scholarship inspires students to believe in hard work and overcome financial hurdles.
Middle East Institute at Columbia University was established in 1954. The university promotes the interdisciplinary study of the Middle East and North Africa together with associated regions of Central Asia, South and Southeast Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa and related global communities. The Institute’s activities focus on the advancement of academic knowledge and the enhancement of public understanding.
The given table shall furnish the entrant with additional details about the scholarship:
|Organization||Middle East Institute, Columbia University|
|Educational Level||Undergraduate, Graduate|
|Number of Awards||Multiple|
Who May be Eligible?
The applicants must act followingly with the eligibility criteria to apply for the Fellowships for Intensive Language Study-
For Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship-
- The applicant should be a graduate student or an undergraduate student.
- The applicant students must be in GSAS, SIPA, and Teacher’s College, and the Schools of Business, Journalism, and Law, as well as to undergraduate students at Columbia College, the School of General Studies and Barnard College.
- The applicants must be U.S. citizen or permanent residents.
For Theodore De Barry Language Study Fellowship-
- The applicant must be undergraduate students enrolled full time at Columbia College, the School of General Studies and Barnard College.
- International students who are neither American citizens nor permanent residents.
How to Apply?
To apply for the Fellowships for Intensive Language Study, the applicant must submit the application form. For Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, the applicant must complete the GSAS online application form. For the Theodore De Barry Language Study Fellowship, the applicant must submit the supporting documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Statements of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- Academic Transcripts
- Letter of Evaluation
The recipient of the Fellowships for Intensive Language Study will receive worthy awards.
Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship will grant-
- Academic Year awards for graduate students consist of $18,000 tuition and a $15,000 stipend.
- Academic Year awards for undergraduates consist of $10,000 tuition and a $5,000 stipend.
- Summer awards for graduate or undergraduate students cover tuition up to $5,000 and offer a $2,500 stipend.
The Theodore De Barry Language Study Fellowship will grant-
Summer awards for undergraduate students cover program tuition and living expenses up to $8000
The application deadlines for the Fellowships for Intensive Language Study are February 11, 2021, and March 30, 2021. Submissions received past the deadline will not be recognized.