If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for the United States Presidential Scholars Program which is presented by the Texas Education Agency. The Scholars Program honors graduating seniors for their outstanding scholarship, achievement, and promise of future success.
The Texas Education Agency is the state agency that oversees elementary and secondary public education. It is headed by the Commissioner of Education. The mission of TEA is to provide leadership, guidance, and resources to help schools meet the educational needs of all students.
Who May Eligible
To qualify as a candidate, you must meet the following criteria:
- Graduate between January and August of 2020
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents
- Candidates must attend public, parochial, or charter schools, or are home-schooled
- Additionally, CTE applicants must be participants in a career and technical education program (i.e., Healthcare, IT, Advanced Manufacturing, STEM, and Transportation).
How to Apply
To apply for the opportunity to be nominated, applicants need to download and complete one of the following applications:
- Students may only apply for one competition (General or CTE). If an application is received for both programs, the applicant will be considered ineligible.
- Each school may nominate only one student for the general competition and one student for the CTE competition. Principals must sign the application form in acknowledgment of their nomination.
Applications must be submitted with valid signatures of both the student applicant and the nominating principal. Secure Submission (please note, this method requires the scanning of application materials):
- Scan application and transcript into ONE file. (File must be submitted in a .doc, .pdf, or .docx format. Any other format is not acceptable.)
2. Go to the TEA ShareFile.
3. Enter your email address and name.
4. Click on the “Continue” button.
5. Upload your document.
6. Click the “Upload” button to submit your application.
A complete submitted application includes:
- S. Presidential Scholars Application form
- Applicant signature
- Certifying official (Principal) signature
- Written response
- Unweighted transcript
Benefit: Candidates will be receiving an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C. where they will be presented with a medallion at a ceremony in their honor.
Application Deadline: Applications are due by 5:00 pm Central on Monday, August 19, 2021.