Individuals committed to safeguarding the environmental welfare of future generations have an amazing chance to apply for the Henry David Thoreau Foundation Undergraduate Scholarships. The program is being conducted by Thoreau Foundation for Massachusetts high school students. Applicants must be enrolled at an accredited college or university to be eligible for the program.
The Thoreau Foundation initiated the award program to assist students passionate about the environment and its related studies. The program funds help those students with adequate funds for their higher education expenses. The recipients of the program are judged based on their applications and their involvement in environmental study.
Since 1999, the Thoreau Foundation is working to provide more than $6 million in support of environmental work. Each year we award scholarships to outstanding Massachusetts high school seniors – the next wave of environmental leaders will pursue interdisciplinary environmental studies in college and beyond. We also fund innovative programs at U.S. colleges and universities, forging alliances with professors, strengthening our environmental network, and extending our impact.
Here the table below for more information about the scholarship:
|Educational Level||High School students|
|Amount||Up to $20,000|
|Number of Awards||Undefined|
|Application Deadline||February 1, 2021|
Who May Be Eligible?
To apply for the Henry David Thoreau Scholarship, you must:
- Must reside in Massachusetts and be in your final year at a Massachusetts high school.
- Must plan to enrol in college the year that the Thoreau scholarship is awarded.
- Must demonstrate strong academic qualifications and a commitment to an environmental field.
- Must be enrolled at an accredited college or university of your choice.
- Must carry 25% of your undergraduate coursework in subjects related to the environment (you may choose any major/minor).
How to Apply
To be eligible for this scholarship program, candidates have to submit their required information electronically. The students eligible according to the above criteria can start their online applications by logging in with their credentials and getting access to the form. The applicants will be asked to provide the below proofs to make their application one complete one.
- Must submit an official copy of your transcript at the end of each semester and maintain greater than a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Must submit an annual report of your activities in the environmental field, including academic courses.
Each year, the foundation selects a new class of Thoreau Scholars: eight to ten top-ranking high school seniors from Massachusetts who demonstrate the potential for environmental leadership and intend to pursue interdisciplinary environmental studies in college. Each Thoreau Scholar receives a four-year scholarship of up to $20,000. Also, Thoreau Scholars are eligible for an environmental internship stipend, which usually takes place between junior and senior year.
The online application and other supplementary materials are due February 1st. Students are asked to submit their applications by the deadline to get consideration for the program.