Applications for the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship are currently open to apply. The program is being conducted by the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence Foundation for a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior. Students must be pursuing a degree at an accredited 2- or 4-year institution of higher education during the 2020-2021 academic year to be eligible. Candidates intending to pursue a research career in natural science, mathematics or engineering are welcome.
The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence Foundation created this award to appreciate the hard work of students. The program includes enormous funds for recipients to help them in covering up their financial expenses related to higher education. Students will be able to accomplish their studies without any hurdles.
The United States Congress established the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program in 1986 in honour of former United States Senator and 1964 presidential candidate Barry Goldwater. Their goal is to provide a continuing source of highly qualified scientists, mathematicians, and engineers by awarding scholarships to college students who intend to pursue careers in these fields. These scholarships are awarded based on merit, and the actual amount given is based on financial need, up to a maximum of $7,500 per academic year.
Get more details about the scholarship in the table below:
|Organization||Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence Foundation|
|Educational Level||Sophomore/ Junior Students|
|Number of Awards||400|
|Application Deadline||November 9, 2021/January 28, 2022|
|Requirement||letter of recommendation, Essay, CV|
Who May Be Eligible?
Applicants must review the below criteria before applying:
- During the 2020-2021 academic year, a full-time enrolled sophomore or junior must obtain a degree at an accredited two- or four-year higher education institution.
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Because of COVID-19, some students may not be enrolled full-time during the 2020-2021 academic year. For this year, you can be eligible to apply even if not full-time enrolled. For the 2021 review, the assumption will be made that all students will be enrolled full-time during the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Applicants must intend to pursue a research career in natural science, mathematics or engineering,
- Must have a college grade point average of at least a 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Must be a U.S. citizen; a U.S. national; or a permanent resident.
How to Apply
To apply for UW nomination for the Goldwater Scholarship, applicants must complete and submit the UW internal online application form. Students are asked to submit all the mentioned documents to complete their applications. Applicants with incomplete applications will not be considered for the scholarship program.
- Research Essay: Must read the updated guidance and tips on developing the research essay, which consider COVID-19 impacts. Keep in mind that the individuals who will be reviewing your application, both at the campus level and the national level if nominated, will be attempting to evaluate the likelihood that you will pursue a research career in the natural sciences, mathematics or engineering.
- Your Curriculum Vitae that should be brief and concise, please also be sure to include brief descriptions of those research, work, volunteer, internship, leadership and other experiences and skills you include so that the readers can get a sense of their importance to you
- Transcript: The UW online application system will automatically include your UW transcript.
- Three Recommendation Letters: Each of a student’s three references should be from an individual who knows the student’s strengths and weaknesses well, particularly those who know the student’s research strengths and weaknesses.
The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence Foundation will be giving away over 400 Scholarships of up to $7,500 a year to help them cover costs associated with tuition, mandatory fees, books, room and board. A sophomore who receives a Goldwater Scholarship will receive up to $7,500 in each of their junior and senior years. A junior who receives a Goldwater Scholarship will receive up to $7,500 in their senior year.
The UW Campus deadline is November 9, 2021, and the National Deadline is of January 28, 2022, at 5 pm Central Time.