Do you have good writing skills and need financial support toward for education? Then put your writing skills into use and make some money by participating in Penguin Random House Creative Writing Awards. Through these programs, Penguin Random House is now encouraging and supporting the new generation of writers and promoting diverse voices and stories. Creative Writing Awards offers college scholarships of up to $10,000 each to five U.S. high school seniors from across the United States. High school seniors from the USA who are 21 years of age or under are welcome to apply.
This signature program of Penguin Random House has been inspiring and empowering hundreds of young writers each year. For these awards, candidates will be selected regardless their race, colour, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability, or national origin as the foundation believes that everyone should have access to opportunities equally. These awards were founded in 1993 for the very first time and since then have been awarded 2.8 million dollars to public high school students for original poetry, memoir/personal essay, fiction/drama, and spoken-word compositions.
Penguin Random House is an American publishing company established in headquartered in Park Imperial, New York, United States. It is known for publishing great books and connecting readers and authors globally and spreading the love of reading. It is an international home to 300 editorially and creatively independent publishing imprints. The mission of this organization is to foster the love of reading around the world.
Get quick information by having a glance at the given table:
|Organization||Penguin Random House|
|Educational Level||High school seniors|
|Number of Awards||5|
|Application Deadline||February 1, 2022|
Who May Be Eligible
Meet the eligibility criteria given below:
- Candidates should be current high school seniors at a public high school in the United States
- Applicants must be 21 years of age and under
- Participants must be planning to enrol in an accredited two-year or four-year college, university, or approved vocational-technical school Fall 2021
How to Apply
To start the application process, aspirants need to follow these given steps:
- Submit one original literary composition in English in one of the following genres of poetry, spoken word, fiction/drama or personal essay/memoir.
- All submissions must be typed, double-spaced with a minimum 12 point font size and no longer than 10 pages.
- All literary pages with multiple pages must be numbered with a page number and a total number of pages (Ex. 1/3, 2/3, 3/3).
- A four-page minimum is recommended for the fiction/drama genre.
- Spoken word entries must upload a typed entry along with an emailed audio format file.
- Only one entry per student may be submitted and considered.
- Login/sign up through the online portal of the organization to submit your application.
The awards have been broken down in four categories given below:
- $10,000 Maya Angelou Award for Spoken-Word Poetry
- $10,000 Poetry
- $10,000 Fiction/Drama
- $10,000 Personal Essay/Memoir
Fifty Honorable Mention candidates will get a creativity kit gift from Penguin Random House as well.
The last date to submit your application is February 1, 2022. Please send your application on or before this date to get the best consideration.