Applications are currently open for the NCTE Achievement Awards in Writing to apply. The National Council of Teachers of English created this award to assist students in their higher education expenses. The Schools in the United States, Canada, Virgin Islands, and American Schools Abroad are eligible to nominate juniors. The high school juniors and seniors students are encouraged to apply for the award.
The National Council of Teachers of English created this award to encourage high school juniors to write and publicly recognize the best student writing. The applicant with the best writing skills will be awarded funds to help them pay for their higher studies purposes. The program will turn out be to be a great help for them in achieving their goals.
The National Council of Teachers of English is committed to improving English and the language arts at all levels of education. This mission statement was adopted in 1990. For more than 100 years, it has worked with its members to offer journals, publications, and resources; to further the voice and expertise of educators as advocates for their students at the local and federal levels; and to share lesson ideas, research, and teaching strategies through its Annual Convention and other professional learning events.
Explore the table for more details about the scholarships:
|Organization||National Council of Teachers of English|
|Educational Level||High School Students|
|Number of Awards||Undefined|
|Nationality||Domestic and International|
|Application Status||February 15, 2021|
|Requirement||Application, Prompt Answer|
Who May Be Eligible?
Below is the eligibility criterion for the award program that needs to be qualified by every student:
- Open for schools in the United States, Canada, Virgin Islands, and American Schools Abroad are eligible to nominate juniors. Nominating schools must be the US accredited.
- Participating students must submit two types of writing: themed writing and best writing.
- Must be Juniors in the current academic school year are eligible to be nominated by their school’s English department.
- Nominations must be based on whether the writer exhibits the power to inform and move an audience through language.
- Entries are only considered from teachers; students may not self-nominate.
How to Apply
The National Council of Teachers of English is receiving applications from eligible candidates for the award program. Nominated students have to submit two writings (best and themed) but as one PDF. When filling out the entry form, they will also be asked to give a title and brief introduction to the work. The students are asked to complete their applications with all the required documents to get consideration.
- Prompt: “Sharing who we connect us to one another and furthers understanding. In this piece, take readers inside a community* that is important to you. Convey the beauty you see there. Compose a piece of writing in a genre and format that best expresses what you would like others to know about your community. Writing options include–but are not limited to–poetry, short story, personal narrative, essay, or graphic storytelling”.
- It must be written based on the topic developed by the Achievement Awards Advisory Committee. The maximum length for the theme writing is four pages. The student’s name and “Themed” must appear in the upper left-hand corner of each page.
The National Council of Teachers of English will be awarding deserving and talented students with adequate funds to help them accomplish their higher education. The amount of the awards varies upon the funds. This financial assistance will help them acquire their studies with some less financial burden on the students. Recipients will get assistance to pay for their educational expenses such as tuition, fees, books, etc.
The deadline to apply for the awards is February 15, 2021. Interested and eligible students are asked to submit their applications by the declared deadline to get applicable.