The CCNMA: Latino Journalists of California is giving out the Latino Journalists of California, CCNMA Scholarship 2021 in order to support Latin origin students interested in pursuing journalism as their career. This opportunity will help provide financial assistance to current undergraduate or graduate students. Applications are open to any individual who is studying journalism in California during the 2021 academic year. So, if you are a student with the aim of journalism, to provide people with the knowledge they need to make the best decisions possible about their lives, families, cultures, and governments, then this opportunity is for you.
The CCNMA Scholarship 2021, aims to encourage more and more Latin students to take up journalism. More than 800 Latino students seeking journalism careers have earned more than $800,000 in scholarships from CCNMA: Latino Journalists of California. The scholarship is an attempt to make journalism more inclusive. This is because it is important that all diverse points of views and opinions are taken in before delivering any type of information in the media. This not just reduces discrimination, but promotes a sense of inclusion and universal togetherness.
The CCNMA: Latino Journalists of California is a non-profit, independent organisation whose mission is to foster diversity in the news media by offering encouragement, grants, and educational opportunities to Latinos interested in pursuing careers in journalism. The organization’s mission is to support the social, economic, and technical development of Latino journalists by fostering a true and equitable representation of Latinos in the press. The CCNMA carries out its mission by offering educational and financial support, as well as job placement for journalism majors and helping in data, preparation, assistance, and work selection for skilled participants. It also assists employers of the news industry in getting diversity into their newsrooms. It is also involved in monitoring the representation of minorities to ensure that it is truthful and balanced.
The following table provides an overview of the entire scholarship:
|Organization||CCNMA: Latino Journalists of California|
|Educational Level||College and university students|
|Number of Awards||1|
|Application Deadline||April 30, 2021|
|Requirement||Application form, 2 references, resumé, transcripts|
Who May Be Eligible
Applicants who satisfy the following criteria are eligible to apply for the scholarship:
- You must be a current undergraduate or graduate student.
- A university, a four-year college, or a two-year college must be attended.
- For Hispanic applicants, there are racial limitations.
- It is enough to research full-time.
- Only students studying in California are eligible.
- Only Journalism students are eligible to apply.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must fill in the online application at the organisation’s website. Click here to view the online application:
The following documents must be uploaded to the online application form:
- Autobiographical essay (300 to 500 words) on your family’s history, including any struggles you’ve faced, why you want to be a journalist, and what position, if any, Latino journalists can play in the mainstream news media.
- Two recent letters of recommendation, at least one from a faculty member (no family members), that speak to the applicant’s journalism skills.
- Current Official Transcripts
- Comprehensive Resumé highlighting your professional and academic achievements
- Work Sample – Reports and/or photos are written in school or neighbourhood publications, as well as stories broadcast on campus, cable TV, or radio stations, are popular work samples. There should be no more than two clips of reported work in the print samples. More than one storey can be used in video and radio excerpts, but the overall time does not exceed 5 minutes. The number of prints in your photography/graphics samples does not exceed two.
The scholarship will provide the selected candidates with scholarships ranging from $500 to $1000. This can be used for education and related expenditure or any activity you feel will catalyse your career in journalism. This will provide your with financial support to pursue your professional and academic dreams.
The applications are open till April 30, 2021 (11:59 pm PT). To be considered for this scholarship, please send your entries by then.