Having an interest in Philosophy is a matter of appreciation in itself, that is why the University of Georgia is announcing the incredible William T. Blackstone Honors Philosophy Scholarship. All UGA honours students who are majoring or minoring in philosophy, who are enrolled for Spring 2021 and are expected to graduate in Spring 2021, Summer 2021, or Fall 2021 are eligible to apply. Students holding academic excellence and a strong interest in philosophy have a great chance to enjoy the benefits of this grant.
The scholarship is initiated to honour the memory of William T. Blackstone who served as the Head of the Department of Philosophy and regularly taught for the honours programme. It helps to reduce the financial burden on the students and appreciate their hard work for maintaining good academic records. It encourages the students to do better in their philosophical careers.
University of Georgia’s Department of Philosophy believes that Philosophy seeks to answer fundamental questions about the nature of reality and our knowledge of it; about the sources of meaning and value in human life; and the relationship of human beings to each other to the natural world. The faculty have national and international reputations in their research fields; strive equally for excellence in teaching and mentoring students.
Who May Be Eligible?
Before applying for the scholarship, please go through the below-given criteria set by the University.
- Applicants should be UGA honours students majoring or minoring in philosophy, who are enrolled for Spring 20021 and expected to graduate in Spring 2021, Sumer 2021, or Fall 2021 are eligible.
- Applicants must be in good standing in the honours program at the time of application
- Candidates should have a strong interest in philosophy
How to Apply
Interested applicants should provide their materials required for the grant to the Philosophy Department Awards Committee. The Philosophy Department Awards Committee shall select scholarship recipients. All the applicants should approach the department before the deadlines.
- A current curriculum vitae or resume is needed
- A written sample such as an essay written for a philosophy course or a description of what you plan to do in your Philosophy Honors Thesis if you are currently enrolled in PHIL 4990R Honours Thesis.
- If a philosophy honours thesis is already complete or in the draft, then part or all of it may be used as a writing sample
- A complete transcript or Degree Audit Report is required.
All the winners of the scholarship will be awarded the amount of $1500. The funds will be utilized to pay their educational expenses. This scholarship helps students to do better in their philosophical careers and encourage their interests in the same field.
Application deadline for spring 2021 is to be announced