Students studying social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and healthcare have an excellent opportunity to grab the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship. The programs are made available by the Government of Canada to students to give them financial support for a brighter future.
These awards were started to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning. The criteria for the scholarships are kept straightforward.
The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008. Vanier Scholars help develop leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies. The grant appreciates the struggle of students working hard in their fields.
Who May Be Eligible?
Candidates must check the following criteria before applying:
- Applicants must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
- An eligible applicant for the doctoral program must include a significant research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital, and exhibit that is merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level requirement for completion of the program.
- Applicants must submit Joint graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) as well as clinically-oriented programs of study, including clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a significant autonomous research component, as described above.
- Applicants must be registered as a full-time student at the nominating Canadian institution and be pursuing a doctoral program (or joint graduate research program MA/Ph.D., MSc/Ph.D., or MD/Ph.D.); and
- Applicants must not hold a faculty appointment concurrently with a Vanier Scholarship unless they arrange for a leave of absence from the appointment.
- Applicants must remain enrolled and demonstrate continued satisfactory progress in their doctoral program.
- Applicants are not allowed to hold a doctoral-level scholarship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral program.
- Applicant must not be concurrently holding any other SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR training award (note: Michael Smith Foreign Studies Supplement accepted).
How to Apply
Candidates must be nominated by the institution at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program. Vanier CGS application packages submitted through ResearchNet will first be submitted to the Canadian institution to put forward their nomination.
- Academic Excellence certificate
- Research Potential thesis
- Updated resume
The deserving winners of the program will get a scholarship worth $50,000 per year for three years during doctoral studies. The recipients will be getting enough support to continue or accomplish their higher educational career.
Consult nominating institution for submission deadline. Expect Early fall