In an effort of encouraging and supporting the aspirations of African American male students, TMCF, together with Ford, has initiated exciting scholarship programs called “Blue Oval Scholarships”. For this year, both companies have created seven wonderful funding schemes for students attending one of TMCF’s member-schools that include 47 publicly-supported Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Predominantly Black Institutions. These offers are available for the academic year of 2021-2022. Interested candidates who want to be a part of this opportunity should be permanent resident of the United States and show their leadership skills and financial need. Students with a current cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher will be given preference.
It is noticed that students who belong to the minority community in the United States have been underrepresented in many areas, from workplaces to education. They have to do more hard work than others to access basic opportunities. Moreover, such students have to go through many challenges from financial to social to bring a positive difference in their lives and improve their condition. To ensure the higher education of such students and empower them, TMCF and Ford have come forward with these wonderful offers. These scholarships will empower African American students by funding their higher education. Worthy candidates will be provided with a handsome award amount to cover their verifiable costs associated with average tuition and usual fees.
Thurgood Marshall College Fund is regarded as the nation’s largest organization solely dedicated to representing black college communities. Its member schools consist of publicly-supported Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Predominantly Black Institutions. On the other hand, Ford is an American automaker company founded on 6 June, 1903, in Detroit, Michigan, by Henry Ford. This esteemed company has been touching the lives of people in every corner of this world by making and selling the best vehicles across the world and leading the way in manufacturing and business innovation.
Get quick information through this table:
|Organization||TMCF and Ford|
|Educational Level||Freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors|
|Number of Awards||7|
|City||F Street, NW|
|Application Deadline||March 8, 2021|
|Requirements||Copy of FAFSA, transcript, one letter of reference, high school transcript and essay|
Who May Be Eligible
Please have a look at the following requirements before you proceed with the application process:
- Applicants must be African American male, graduating high school senior, during the 2021-2022 academic year;
- Candidates should be enrolled full-time as a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior at a TMCF member-school during the 2021-2022 academic school year;
- If you are an incoming freshman, you should provide proof of acceptance into or enrollment at a TMCF member-schools as an incoming freshman during the 2021-2022 academic school year.
- Aspirants must be a current cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher;
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate leadership abilities;
- Aspirants should be able to demonstrate a financial need;
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident with a valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply for this program through the Thurgood Marshall College Fund Application System, where they will be asked to create an account or log in with their existed one to access the online application form. Thurgood Marshall College Fund’s account will allow you to apply for scholarships, internships, full-time jobs and other opportunities offered by TMCF and partners.
- Please provide a copy of the 2021-2022 FAFSA Student Aid Report.
- Provide the transcript for your most recently completed academic term-this should include your end of Fall 2020 grades and cumulative GPA.
- Provide the high school transcript (official or unofficial) from your most recently completed academic term if you are an incoming freshman. This should include your Fall 2020 and a cumulative GPA.
- Please provide an email address for one recommender to complete a character reference form. They will be required to answer three questions regarding your character reference.
- Write down an essay in a maximum of 250 words per question answering the following question: How will your education benefit you, your family, and the community?
There are seven scholarships available for deserving students. Each scholarship is valued at $6,200 and can be used to cover verifiable costs associated with average tuition and usual fees. These funds will remove all the financial challenges presented in students’ way of gaining an advanced degree and increase their confidence in their abilities and skills, which will prove beneficial for them in the long run.
Applications are available until March 8, 2021. If you want to be a part of these programs, then send your application by this date.