To increase the number of women leaders in the automotive industry, General Motors is now awarding wonderful “Women’s Retail Network Drive to Succeed Scholarships”. This year, the company has brought a limited number of scholarships for female students interested in pursuing a career in the automotive retail and automotive service sector. The eligibility requirement of this program is that the candidates must be traditional high school students, non-traditional students, and GM dealership employees, in the US or Canada, pursuing academic degrees in automotive management, business, and technical certification in automotive education. Students only from US and Canada are invited to apply.
The automotive industry is one of the leading industries and also considered to be male dominant. In this industry, women have been underrepresented. However, there are lots of career opportunities presented for both men and women in this industry. General Motors is totally aware of the need for more women leaders in this industry who have the potential to contribute in the growth of it and take it to new heights. That is why this company has initiated these scholarship opportunities that will encourage female students to consider pursuing education in the automotive-themed major by providing needed financial support. Women are aiming to work in the automotive industry and have exceptional talent, but financially disadvantaged can take advantage of these schemes.
General Motors is a well established multinational company situated in Flint, Michigan, United States. It came into existence on September 16, 1908, as a result of the efforts of William C. Durant, Charles Stewart Mott. Since then, it has been dedicated to design, manufacture, market, and distribute vehicles and vehicle parts, and sell financial services. It operates its global headquarters in Detroit’s Renaissance Center. With a rich history of success, GM is committed to innovation, inclusion, sustainability and safety.
Table of Contents
Get quick information through this table:
|Educational Level||Undergraduate and graduate|
|Subjects||Automotive management, business, and technical certification in automotive education|
|Number of Awards||N/A|
|Application Deadline||April 1, 2021|
|Requirements||GM Dealer Recommendation Form, a letter of recommendation from and a copy of your Student Aid Report|
Who May Be Eligible
Students who fit in the following eligibility criteria are welcome to apply:
- Applicants must be female;
- Candidates must possess a high school diploma or GED (as of fall 2021);
- Aspirants must be able to verify enrollment at the beginning of the 2021 fall term;
- Students must be a citizen of the United States or have the ability to accept permanent employment in the US without the need for visa sponsorship now or in the future;
- Recipients must be enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or non-traditional educational institution that offers formal programs or certifications in automotive retail and automotive service; or, currently employed at an automotive dealership and enrolled in an educational institution that offers formal programs or certifications that advance your career within automotive retail.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can apply for this program through the online portal of General Motors. There are different application portal for US and Canadian students. What they need to do is to log in with their existed account or register with their new one to access the online application form.
As part of the online application, candidates are required to upload a 500 – 750 word personal statement addressing the following:
- Your interest and motivation to pursue a career in the automotive retail and/or automotive service sector.
- Why should you be considered for scholarship support?
- Any other information that may be of importance to the selection committee in their review of your application.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from one of the following: a past/current employer, academic instructor/school official or community/civic leader. Your letter of recommendation must be signed and on official letterhead.
- A GM Dealer Recommendation Form
- Provide an official transcript from your most recent educational institution. If this does not include one full year of grades, please also provide a transcript from your previous institution(s).
- Send a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) including your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the information you provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The value of this scholarship is $5,000. This amount will help candidates to pay for their educational expenses such as tuition, books, supplies, transportation and etc. This little contribution from General Motors will act as helping hand in alleviating the financial burden on students and their families. It motives students to achieve their goals and do better at every stage of their learning journey.
The application deadline is April 1, 2021. If you find this program interesting, then you can send your application before or on this date.