To support emerging and early career sports photographers and make available for them a platform where they can exhibit their talent, Doug Pensinger Photography Fund has created a wonderful competition for 2021. This sports photography contest is targeting only those photographers who are new in this field and early stage. Participation in this program is completely free for all interested individuals. Students from around the world can take part in this opportunity. For this competition, DPPF will select up to seven talented sports photographers who can be from any part of the world, based on merit. If sports photography fascinates you, and your aim is to pursue a full-time career in this field, then this contest could be the right opportunity to give your career a perfect start.
This competition will provide students with a 5k award amount to be spent on career development. Plus, there will be other opportunities for candidates, such as a paid trip to the 2021 DPPF Sports Photography Gathering, feedback sessions and year-long mentorship opportunity with leading industry professionals. The perk of the paid trip is limited to only U.S. students, so all the candidates who belong to other parts of the world need to be aware in this regard, and DPPF is not able to provide support for visa procurement. This contest will lead to an opportunity to attend a gathering where candidates will get career advice, access to leading professionals, and individual feedback on the attendees’ body of work. So overall, it is more than just an ordinary competition and the perfect opportunity for you to give your talent a boost.
Doug Pensinger Photography Fund is a non-profit organization committed to supporting emerging sports photographers. It was founded in 2019 in honour of the memory of the late photojournalist Doug Pensinger. To help young sports photographers with their career journey, this organization offers support in the form of grants, mentorships, and opportunities to build community and make connections with other photographers.
Get quick information through this table:
|Organization||Doug Pensinger Photography Fund|
|Number of Awards||N/A|
|Application Deadline||May 02, 2021|
Who May Be Eligible
All emerging and early-career sports photographers are invited to apply.
How to Apply
To become a participant of this program, candidates need to go to the online portal of Doug Pensinger Photography Fund and set up an account to access the online application form or log in with the existing one. There is no entry fee, and aspirants will be selected based on merit and overall quality. Only complete submissions will be considered, and all decisions by the judges are binding.
- 20 sports photographs (action and portrait both accepted)
- An essay of 1500 characters maximum answering the question: How they would value a mentorship. This essay is only required if candidates wish to apply for a mentorship opportunity.
The organization will choose up to seven photographers for the awards that are:
- A $5,000 grant, to be spent on career development
- An expenses-paid trip to the 2021 DPPF Sports Photography Gathering. Travel coverage for the gathering is limited to U.S. domestic airfare
- Multiple individual portfolio feedback sessions
- Small group sessions on issues critical to the world of sports photojournalism
- A keynote presentation by a media team from the 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics
- A year-long mentorship opportunity with leading industry professionals on the DPPF Advisory Board
Applications are open until May 02, 2021. If you are interested in applying for this competition, then send your application by this date.