NCAA has announced the Walter Byers Scholarship program for the year 2022 for appreciating student-athlete contribution to their academic performance. Students who are graduating senior or enrolled in graduate study at an NCAA member institution with an average GPA of 3.5 or more in academics or other granted grading systems can apply for this scholarship program. Each year one male and one female are chosen for this scholarship which has contributed with their soul and body to achieve national distinction and will also be the future head in their elected career goal.
Students selected for their academic excellence will get awarded $24,000 for one academic year. Moreover, if the institute or school where the buyer’s scholarship student studies provide any confirmation or proof about their adequate performance, then their scholarship will be renewed for the second year. Each year two scholarships are given worth $48,000, and if renewed, then $96,000 is provided. This helps the student to achieve their academic goals with a focus on their athletic skills and do good towards their career objective.
National Collegiate Athletic Association has been providing this scholarship program since 1988 to student-athletes to encourage their goods through their academic excellence. This scholarship program does not provide based on their financial background and status but on how well they score in academics. It is the most excellent program among all scholarships provided by NCAA.
The following information shows brief knowledge of this program:
|Organization||National Collegiate Athletic Association|
|Number of Awards||2|
|Contest Deadline||January 13, 2022|
|Application Fees||Not required|
Who is Eligible?
- Have a GPA of 3.5 or more (out of 4) or equivalent other granted grading system
- Have completed in intercollegiate athletics as a member of a varsity team at an NCAA member institution;
- Have graduated or graduating an NCAA member institution.
- Have intentions in admitting into graduation at granted, non-profit institution or post-baccalaureate professional degree program or granted law, medical or other equivalent schools without restricted national site of the institution
- Be committed to working on a full-time basis toward a graduate degree or a post-baccalaureate professional degree;
- Have evidenced superior character and leadership;
- Have declaration of positive influence on nominee’s personal and intellectual development in participated athletics and community service.
- Enroll into a graduate degree program within five years of being named a Byers Scholar
(U.S. citizenship is not a required criterion)
How to Apply?
Students who want to apply for this scholarship program should fill the application form and register themselves, or if nominated by their school then, FAR or appointee of nominating institution should submit their form. Student-athlete should write an essay about their short and long-term career goals with their personal and intellectual development in their school or college and should be verified and signed by the nominee.
Some of the additional required documents to be submitted with the application include:
- Official transcript in pdf format including all undergraduate work
- Factual lists, such as principle activities, athletics honors, academic honors, community involvement (include no. of duration, if formal activity include brief project description)
- Four recommended letters, faculty member teaching in their discipline degree, able person to judge nominee’s intercollegiate athletics, two endorses of student’s choice, each will receive an email upon submission. The email provided by the endorser will be used for log in to Program Hub to endorse.
For more information, Contact NCAA office 317/917-6683 or email on:
An applicant who gets selected for this scholarship by the NCAA committee will get awarded $24,000, which will be given to their enrolled institution for educational requirements. Additionally, the student will get a chance to renew their scholarship in the subsequent year through their academic performance and excellence. This will motivate students to do better in their academics and win the scholarship, which will be a plus point along with their athletic accomplishments.
All applicable students are requested by the committee to submit their applications before January 13, 2022. Finalists will be declared on March 2022, and in-person interviews will be taken on April 24-25,2022. Delayed applications will not be accepted, and students may lose the opportunity. So, fascinated students should complete the process asap.