Walk DVRC is pleased to announce Walk DVRC International Design Competition. The competition is international and open to architecture, landscape architecture, urban design and planning, transport planning, sustainable design and community consultation practitioners and students.
Walk DVRC Ltd is seeking to select from the EOI competitors who can demonstrate experience in innovative design thinking that approaches urban design as an integrated social, an economical and ecological design challenge.
This Design Competition is an idea-based contest to re-envision and re-engage the street as quality public space – a place making effort in a vehicle-choked urban street.
Table of Contents
Who May Eligible:
International contest is open to architecture, landscape architecture, urban design and planning, transport planning, sustainable design and community consultation practitioners and students, but not limited to these.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit an EOI. EOI information should be sent either physically to Walk DVRC Ltd. 23/F Chun Wo Commercial Center, 23-29 Wing Wo Street, Central, Hong Kong or electronically via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Packages must include:
- Details of all design practices included in the team, along with a general overview of their backgrounds, project history and the key staff nominated to participate in the Competition (team skills and composition to demonstrate technical and professional capability)
- Statement of design expertise across the team, aligned to and in support of the Competition and its themes (understanding and experience of the Submission requirement)
- Statement of task appreciation, outlining an understanding of the key challenges and opportunities that are specific to the Competition (relevant background and experience to undertake a project of this scope and scale)
- Statement design methodology, outlining the team’s intended design methodology to deliver the Competition Submission
- Confirmation of availability to send two team members to Hong Kong in June/July for a site visit (to be funded by project sponsors of the Design Competition.)
- The official language of the Competition is English. All entries must be in English, including all additional information, such as videos, etc.
- Walk DVRC Ltd. encourages the participation of multi-disciplinary teams with a disciplinary mix that includes, but is not limited to:
- Urban design
- Landscape Architecture
- Transport planning and engineering
- The five selected Competitors will be asked to submit a maximum of 4 A0 boards and may also submit
accompanying animation/video, although this is not mandatory.
The Submission should address the following principles:
- Provide for an attractive, accessible and functional public open space that supports walkability and pedestrianization to stimulate economic and social vibrancy
- Facilitate a strong synergy between the trams and the public environment
- Provide a range of green corridors, street trees and landscape treatments that reduce the effects of pollution, provide shade and enhance the walking experience
- Ensure that footpaths and public spaces are accessible and sufficiently safe
- Encourage use of public transportation (disincentives for private cars and taxis)
- Integrate opportunities for cultural, creative and artistic expressions
- They will each be awarded US$20,000 to help with the production of their entries.
- The overall competition winner will be awarded US$30,000 to build a model of their design.
- S/he will also be given the opportunity to speak at the Business of Design Week (BoDW), Asia’s leading event on design, innovation, and brands, in December.
Entries for the competition are being accepted until June 1, 2018.