USRA is assisting students in their college-related expenses through its “USRA Distinguished Undergraduate Awards”. The students who are engaged in a career in the sciences or engineering with an emphasis on space research, space science education, or aeronautics-related sciences are encouraged to apply.
The purpose of the program is to help students in covering up the high-cost educational expenses. The organization will be rewarding adequate funds to the scholars, which are essential to accomplish their further higher and quality studies.
USRA works as an independent, nonprofit research corporation where the combined efforts of in-house talent and university-based expertise merge to advance space science and technology. It was founded in 1969, near the beginning of the Space Age, driven by the vision of two individuals, James Webb and Frederick Seitz.
Table of Contents
Who May Be Eligible?
To eligible for the program, the candidates must go through the entire eligibility guidelines:
- Applicants must be full-time undergraduate students attending a 4-year accredited college or university in the United States at the time the award is received.
- Must be majoring in a field of science or engineering, including life sciences or science education.
- Must be within two years of a B.S. or B.A. in a space science-related field of science or engineering (including life science and science education) by the time the award is received.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher.
- Must be US citizens or lawful Permanent Residents.
- Previous USRA scholarship winners are not eligible.
- Non-US students attending USRA Member Universities located outside the United States are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be citizens of the country in which the university is based. Besides, all application materials must be in English, and eligibility concerning academic grades and number of years to the undergraduate degree must be equivalent to that for U.S. applicants.
How to Apply
The Organization is receiving applications from eligible students through an online process. The applicants interested in the program can fill out their required information with the mandatory credentials through an online application form.
- Two letters of recommendation one from a professor, mentor, or school official at the college level. The letter writers must be personally familiar with the applicant’s accomplishments, performance, skills, character, or experience.
- An official college transcript stating two or more years of college credits including GPA. The transcript should include grades from the spring 2020 semester.
- One page (< 600 words) statement describing the applicant’s past accomplishments and education and career goals in the field of space research, aerospace-related engineering, or space science education. Must include the applicant’s name at the top of the page.
- A half-page (< 325 words) stating of particular examples of extra-curricular activities that demonstrate leadership or having a broader impact. These may include K-12 activities, community outreach, mentoring, space science or engineering club/organization, advancing diversity in STEM concerning gender or minorities, or other ways of giving back to the community.
- Note that the quality and impact of the activity are more important than the number of activities. The limit is no more than three examples. Please include the applicant’s name at the top of the page.
USRA distributes up to four undergraduate scholarship awards in amounts up to $5,000 each year. Awards are for one year only, which will be paid directly to the recipients to cover up their further educational purposes such as tuition, fees, courses, etc.
The complete student applications must be received by midnight CDT on Aug 11, 2021, and the Letters of Recommendation must be obtained from the applicant’s references by August 14.