The Ugandan Press Photo Award is delighted to announce its Young Photographer Award. The award is open for Photographers between the ages of 18 and 25 years who are citizens of Uganda.
This competition is geared towards passionate emerging photographers looking to cultivate a career in documentary photography or photojournalism but lacking the tools to realize their vision.
The award’s aim is to promote the best of today’s photojournalism in Uganda, supporting visual literacy as well as encouraging a new generation of photographers by focusing on photographic education through our program. It also seeks to remind the viewing public of the importance of a vibrant press for democratic development.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- The YPA competition is open to all photographers between 18 and 25 years of age who are citizens of Uganda.
- Members of UPPA & Foreign Correspondents’ Association of Uganda, the judging panel, and any family members cannot enter the contest.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, you need to do register and complete the information through the given link: http://ugandapressphoto.org/2018/register/
- While there will be no restrictions to the technical quality of the images submitted, applicants are expected to submit their best quality images.
- Images must have accurate captions, written in English only, and contain adequate information which should include:
- Description of who is in the photograph and what is going on within the photo.
- Name of the place where the picture was made.
- Provide the date the photo was made.
- Captions must give context for what’s not seen (e.g. the scene of walking pilgrims).
- Photographers are asked to submit the following:
- A motivation letter introducing yourself as well as explaining why you should be considered for the award and the mentorship program;
- A photographic project idea of a long-term project that you would like to realize and take on during the mentorship program. This has to be a realistic and attainable idea as you may have to follow through during the mentorship program;
- A portfolio of 20 jpeg images taken by you. Anything to the contrary is grounds for disqualifications. Remember – images submitted will speak for you and your talent, so be sure to show your best work.
- Submit a motivation letter no longer than 1 page of A4 (font size 12, single spacing), written in English.
- The contest is restricted to Ugandan citizens, between 18 and 25 years of age.
- Submit a project proposal, that shouldn’t be longer than 1 page of A4 (font size 12, single spacing), written in English.
- The proposed subject must be noteworthy and original or, an original take on an old idea.
- One proposal per photographer will be considered.
- In the case of multiple submissions being received from a single photographer only the first proposal received will be considered.
- The portfolio should consist up to 20 images taken by the applicant which you will represent your photographic approach and interests.
- Only submissions uploaded via the entry website by the July 15th, 2018 deadline will be accepted.
- Awaiting the winner is a Canon EOS 1300D kit sponsored by Canon, as well as the opportunity to participate in an intensive, seven-month Mentorship Program, during which the photographer will have a chance to develop a documentary photography project that, if successful, will be exhibited during the UPPA 2019.
The application deadline is July 15, 2018.
If you have any questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org