The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is pleased to announce “UNESCO African World Heritage Day Instagram Photo Contest, 2018”. The competition is open young people worldwide between the ages of 18 and 28 years.
#MyAfricanheritage is an Instagram contest aiming to promote the exceptional cultural and natural heritage of the African continent.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- An individual between 18 and 28 years old from any country can take part in this contest.
- There is no registration. Entry is determined by the posting of the photo with accompanying description on Instagram and tagging it with the #MyAfricanHeritage hashtag.
- To be eligible, Instagram Entries must be set as ‘Public’ so that they are visible to UNESCO.
- Members of current UNESCO staff (either permanent or temporary), parents, siblings, children and spouses of UNESCO staff are not eligible to participate.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To apply, each participant will post a photo of an African site inscribed on the World Heritage List along with a brief description of the site’s significance to the participant and his/her personal experience during the visit.
- By submitting their Entries via Instagram and using the #MyAfricanHeritage hashtag, the Entrants accept that these Entries may be used by UNESCO as part of its communication activities.
- There are no limits on the number of Entries that each Entrant can submit. The photo can be prepared using a mobile phone, camera or any other device. Any expenses incurred during submission are to be borne by the Participant.
- The Entries are intended to present and promote African World Heritage and the importance of the World Heritage Convention in Africa. They can relate to cultural, natural or mixed World Heritage properties (i.e., sites that are inscribed on the World Heritage list (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/).
- By participating, the Entrants declare their agreement that UNESCO may use the material in line with the UNESCO Open Access policy.
- Photos must be taken and the accompanying text written by the Entrant him/herself. Verifications could be made to confirm that the Entrant is the owner of the photo.
- The description must be drafted in English or in French. The contest is free of charge.
- Photos must have been taken in the last five years, i.e. after 30 April 2013 at a World Heritage property (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/). Photos can be color-corrected or have filters applied, but should not be digitally manipulated in terms of content and context.
- After 30 April 2018, the top ten (10) Entries will be contacted via the social media profile used to submit the Entry and asked to provide the following information:
o Name of the participant (Entrant)
o Location of the photo
o Date of the photo
o Full name of the person/people appearing in the photo, if applicable
- The top three entries will win a trip for two to one of the following World Heritage sites: Ngorongoro Conservation Area(NCA) & Serengeti National Park (United Republic of Tanzania), Robben Island(South Africa) and Cidade Velha, Historic of Ribeira Grande (Cabo Verde).
- The winners will have a unique opportunity to discover these extraordinary sites and the people who work on a daily basis to preserve them. The prizes have been generously offered by:
- Ngorongoro Conservation Area Authorities
- Robben Island Museum and the African World Heritage Fund
- Instituto do Património Cultural (IPC) in charge of Cidade Velha’s management.
- In addition, the photos of the top ten entries will be published on the websites of UNESCO’s World Heritage Centre and African World Heritage Fund(AWHF).
Entries must be submitted to Instagram before 30 April 2018 at 7 p.m. Paris time (GMT + 2). The winners of the competition will be announced on the African World Heritage Day, 5 May 2018.
For any further information, contact: WH.africa-at-unesco.org