DE Caro & Kaplen LLP is pleased to offer financial support to those students who have survived serious brain injury and now want to pursue a college education. This year, the firm will grant a scholarship of $ 1,000 to one applicant. This funding program was created by Shana De Caro and Michael V. Kaplen who have each served as chairperson of the American Association for Justice Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group and have been dedicated to brain injury education, prevention, and advocacy. Applications for this program are available for students currently enrolled in or accepted to enroll at an accredited college or university within the United States. All the entrants need to be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Candidates will be recruited based on the overall strength of the application.
Shana De Caro and Michael V. Kaplen are looking forward to using this scholarship as a reminder that every person with sustained a traumatic brain injury is an individual, not just statics. Brain injuries can be very serious, and make a devastating impact on both the individual and family. These injuries can change the life of anyone in an instant. Shana De Caro and Michael V. Kaplen understand very well that after recovering from a brain injury, it is hard for a person to get back on track. And when it comes to education, they find themselves unable to manage the fund for their education as in most cases the treatment of any brain injury left people with less or no money. To help such students with their educational pursuit, they have made available this program that you can avail if you need the financial support and have gone through the same.
DE Caro & Kaplen LLP is run by Shana De Caro and Michael V. Kaplen who are nationally recognized for their leadership roles in the field of brain injury law. Shana De Caro is a member of the board of directors of the Brain Injury Association of America. Michael V. Kaplen is a three-term past president of the Brain Injury Association of New York State. Both Shana and Michael have served as chairpersons of the American Association for Justice Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group.
Please have a look at this table to get quick information
|Organization||DE Caro & Kaplen LLP|
|Educational Level||College and university students|
|Number of Awards||N/A|
|Application Deadline||August 1, 2021|
Who May Be Eligible?
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
- Be currently enrolled in, or accepted to enroll at an accredited college or university within the United States,
- Have sustained a traumatic brain injury from an accident or traumatic event
- Timely complete a selection application
How to Apply
Complete an online application form with accurate and complete information and send it with the required documents given below to the firm for getting consideration.
- A completed application,
- A copy of a current college academic transcript or proof of acceptance and registration at an accredited college or university,
- A copy of proof of accident, such as police report, or some other form of proof of the traumatic event,
- Proof of a traumatic brain injury from a narrative medical report or hospital record,
- An essay of not more than three pages describing the traumatic event, your injury, and how you have worked to overcome your injury while pursuing an education etc.
- Proof of legal Residency in the U.S. (i.e. Birth certificate, passport, permanent resident card)
This scholarship is worth $1,000 and will be provided to those who will meet the eligibility criteria. They can use the received money to lessen the financial burden that their brain injury treatment posed on them. This award will help them lighten their financial burden to a certain limit and make things easier during their learning journey. It will remove all the financial hindrances available on their way to obtaining an advanced degree.
Students are required to send their applications by August 1, 2021. After this date, no application will be selected for this program.