Looking for main debate topics for college students? Debating as an educational tool is great for students because it covers several areas that need to be put into practice not just in school but in life.
Things like developing an educated opinion, doing research, listening to what the other person has to say and analyze it in order to respond intelligently, the use of correct vocabulary and other aspects that can help the student in their future jobs and in their personal lives.
They might not realize it at first, but it does influence the way they can solve problems and defend their arguments and opinions.
When it comes to debates for those in college, there are certain topics that can be exploited better in that age group than if you try and have high school students reason with those questions. Not just because of the amount of research they might need, but also because of their maturity level and life experience.
On this list we have rounded up 20 debate topics that are great for college students because they’re relevant, they’re controversial and they are significant. They also need to know about it, they’re not topics over which one can improvise and come out looking particularly smart.
- Should the death penalty be completely abolished?
- Should parents have a say when it comes to banning books from schools and libraries?
- Is a college education really that useful and essential?
- Should the voting system be changed by eliminating electoral colleges?
- To go to college students must know at least one foreign language.
- What are the pros and cons of fully automated cars?
- Can science live without animal testing?
- How can we keep the legal system updated with the technology of the internet?
- Can science and religion really coexist?
- Is euthanasia ever justified?
- Is there really a need to vaccinate children?
- Does the internet influence our health?
- Same-sex marriage.
- Is there an explanation for the violent behavior displayed by school students in the past few years?
- Should we teach ethics in high school?
- Should we teach financial management at school?
- How are social networks harming or improving our society?
- Are superheroes misleading role models?
- In the legal system should juveniles be treated the same as adults?