The Center for Latin American Studies at the Ohio State University (OSU) is offering Tinker Foundation Field Research Grants. It is available to all students across all academic disciplines and graduate degree programs.
The grants will be awarded Up to $3,000 of funding per applicant. It provide graduate students with funds for travel to and within Latin America to conduct pre-dissertation research.
Table of Contents
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Tinker grants fund travel and research costs of master’s and doctoral candidates pursuing international field research toward their theses or dissertations
- Grants are awarded for brief periods of no more than four months of pre-dissertation research in Latin America (Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries)
- Awards are open to all students across all academic disciplines and graduate degree programs;
- Recipients must be graduate students at the masters or early stages of doctoral level studies, including those pursuing professional degrees.
- Preliminary research projects receive first consideration. Repeat awards are discouraged by the foundation, so students should consult with their advisors as to when in their degree programs to apply.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules
To participate, the applicants must submit an onlineapplication form through the given link: https://osu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_af4S2QnJKh5uwoR
- Applications and supporting materials (application form, budget estimate, CV, advising report, and research proposal) will be submitted online through Qualtrics;
- Before beginning an application, students should consult the relevant information sheet for specific information on eligibility requirements;
- A PDF version of the application is available for preview and planning purposes only. Applicants must complete the application itself through Qualtrics;
- Before completing the online application form, students should have all the necessary information and supporting materials on hand and ready to upload. The online form should take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete and should be completed at one time;
- A selection committee of faculty members recruited from a variety of disciplines in Latin American Studies will review the applications and grants will be awarded based on the committee’s ranking of the applicant pool;
- A complete application includes the following:
- Completed online application form;
- A budget estimate with relevant supporting materials;
- A CV or Resume;
- Up-to-date OSU Advising Report of all courses taken and grades received;
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member familiar with your work.
- A 3-5 page, a double-spaced proposal describing your research, the relevance of your project to your professional development and your discipline-at-large, and anticipated outcomes from your travel abroad.
- Specify any relevant background or experience you have had, contacts already made (people, institutions, groups) with whom you will be able to interact while abroad, and how you expect these contacts to help with your project.
- Up to $3,000 of funding per applicant may be awarded;
- CLAS will coordinate with the student’s home department to set up a travel number and purchase flights directly. Remaining funds will be made available on a reimbursement basis after travel has been conducted. All receipts must be submitted to Megan Hasting (email@example.com) prior to the release of the reimbursement;
- Following field visits, Tinker recipients must prepare a short abstract (maximum 200 words) and a five-page summary of their activities and evaluation of their experience;
- Recipients will also be required to participate in Tinker Talk events, hosted by the Center for Latin American Studies each semester to showcase outcomes of student research supported by the Tinker Grants;
The deadline to submit applications is Friday, March 15, 2019, at 5:00 PM EST and applicants will be notified by April 15, 2019, of the decision.