Applications are open for the Third Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize. The prize aims to honor individuals with outstanding achievements in the fields of medical research and medical services to combat infectious and other diseases in Africa.
The Prize consists of two categories: Medical Research which honors individuals and Medical Services which honors individuals and organizations. The program will award a medal and 100 million yen (equivalent to about one million US dollars).
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- No distinction will be made based on the nationality, age or gender of the nominees, who are limited to people still living.
- Nominee eligibility for the two categories are as follows:
- Medical Research
- Nominations are in principle to be for one individual.
- In the case of joint research, however, a maximum of three individuals will be considered
- Medical Services
- In the case of nominating an organization, nominations are limited to one currently active organization. ・
- Nominations are in principle to be one individual or one organization per activity. Under exceptional circumstances, however, when more than one individual or organization work as a team, a maximum of three individuals or organizations will be considered.
How to Apply:
To participate, the applicants must download nomination form through the given link: http://www.cao.go.jp/noguchisho/doc/nomination_form3.pdf
Mail your nomination form with attachments to the following address. Also, you might send an e-mail to the below address (in either MS Word or PDF format). However, submissions via fax are not accepted:
- Medical Research: Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize Medical Research Selection Committee
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) 5-3-1 Kojimachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0083 Japan, Tel: +81-3-3263-1938/1883, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Medical Services: Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize Medical Services Selection Committee
WHO Regional Office for Africa (AFRO)
Cité du Djoué, P.O.Box 06 Brazzaville, Republic of Congo, Tel: + (47 241) 39100 / + (47 241) 39695 / + (242) 05770202, E-mail: email@example.com
- Attach a brief statement regarding the following subjects.
- A brief description of the nominee’s contributions in the area of medical research or medical services within the context of the Prize’s concept. (about 50 words)
- Titles of publications that represent the nominee’s contributions. (Please mark 4-5 of best publications among them if there are many.)
- An additional short introduction outlining how and why the research/activity of the nominee has contributed to the advancement and improvement of measures against infectious and other diseases prevalent in Africa if any. (about 2 pages)
- Brief biography including academic, administrative and/or research positions, awards and/or supporting letters from other specialists familiar with the nominee’s work. (up to 5 letters)
The Prize is awarded in both the medical research and medical services categories, with a citation, medal and 100 million yen (equivalent to about one million U.S. dollars).
The Laureates will be announced in 2019 and the award ceremony will be held during the Seventh Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD7).
The nominations and supporting letters must reach the respective secretariat by no later than July 31th, 2018.
For General Information about the Prize contact: Hideyo Noguchi Africa Prize, Cabinet Office Inquiry form Tel:+81-3-5501-1774