It has always been necessary to have diversity in every area, whether it’s education, career field, or workplace. Diverse people can bring different ideas to the table and encourage others who have been underrepresented to come out and show their potential by being a good example. Diversity is the idea of accepting and respecting the differences between people. In the past few years, an increment in diversity in the legal profession has been noticed. Students from different cultures and backgrounds have been taking an interest in and coming forward to serve this area. To increase the number of black students in the field of law, the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc has initiated a funding program. The Herbert Lehman Education Fund Scholarship supports the higher education of African American law students whose financial condition is preventing them from studying law.
This funding scheme focuses on assisting African-American students in attending formerly segregated four-year colleges and universities in the South. The primary goal of the organization behind presenting this scholarship is to turn the promise of racial equality into social, economic, and political reality by helping deserving undergraduate students with financial needs so that they can stay in school and successfully earn their bachelor’s degrees. This scholarship is granted to students throughout the four years of their degree program. The Herbert Lehman Education Fund Scholarship was started in 1964 in honor of former governor and the United States Senator from New York integrity, courage, and persistence on behalf of numerous civil rights causes.
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. is a leading legal organization of America advocating and fighting for racial justice. Through litigation, advocacy, and public education, it has been striving to expand democracy, eliminate disparities, and achieve racial justice in a society that stands for equality for all Americans. It is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting racial justice for everyone.
Following are the brief details concerning the subsequent grant:
|Organization||NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc|
|Number of Awards||N/A|
|Contest Deadline||April 01, 2022|
|Application Fees||Not required|
Who is Eligible?
Meeting these requirements is mandatory:
- U.S. Citizenship;
- Must be a graduating high school senior, a first-year student in an accredited four-year college, or a student transferring into an accredited four-year college, students beginning as a junior are not eligible;
- Demonstrated financial need – must have a combined family income of $65,000 or less;
- Record of academic achievement; and
- Demonstrated commitment to public service
How to Apply?
To send their entry, candidates will have to go to the online portal of the organization, where they will have to log in if they are already an account holder of NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. For all candidates who are new to NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc, there is a register option given at the online portal that they can use to send their entry.
Following documents need to be with the application form:
- A copy of the acceptance letter to the college you will attend;
- Two recommendation letters;
- A copy of your current school transcript (finalists will be required to submit an official transcript);
- A personal statement;
- An essay;
- A copy of your SAT and/or ACT test scores; and
- A copy of your Student Aid Report (FAFSA Form). The adjusted gross family income line of your FAFSA form must be completed showing a dollar amount. If not, a copy of your parent’s income tax return must be attached. If you are independent of your parents, provide your income tax return.
This scholarship will assist students in lessening their financial pressure by covering educational expenses that have remained to be met. By getting this financial aid, students can give the motivational push to their learning journey, pursue their educational goals and build a successful career in the field they are interested in. This program will aid them in getting rid of monetary-related challenges and motivate them to give their best in whatever course they are pursuing.
All entrants are requested to send their entry for this program by April 01, 2022. Late entry will be disqualified from this program. To get a better consideration for the same, please forward your application as soon as possible.