The Washington Map Society is pleased to offer the Dr. Walter W. Ristow Prize to recognizes academic achievement in the History of Cartography. The competition is open to all full or part-time undergraduate, graduate, and first-year post-doctoral students who are attending accredited colleges and universities anywhere in the world.
The winners of the competition have a chance to receive $1000 cash award and a one-year membership in the Washington Map Society, etc.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- All full or part-time undergraduate, graduate, and first-year post-doctoral students who are attending accredited colleges and universities anywhere in the world.
- A number of Ristow Prize winners and Honorable Mentions have come from outside the United States.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must be postmarked Papers and mailed to Dr. Evelyn Edson, Ristow Prize Chair, and 268 spring tree Lane, Scottsville VA 24590-9511, USA.
- The entrant must submit four unbound copies of the paper. Each copy must have a cover sheet that states the entrant’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, school and academic status, and title of the paper. Each paper must also have a title page containing only the title that appeared on the cover page.
- Research papers must be related to the history of cartography. Merely using maps to relate an episode in history is not sufficient, unless the maps date from the period of the event, and/or disclose new information about that event, and/or the study of those maps constitutes a major focus of the paper.
- The papers must be completed to fulfill academic requirements. For example, they may be research papers submitted to fulfill coursework, or they may be a portion or adaptation of a portion of a thesis or dissertation. The entrant must be prepared to provide the name and contact information of the professor, instructor, or reader for which the paper was done, and the title of the course.
- The paper must be in English and must be documented in a style selected by the author. Papers must not exceed 7500 words. Bibliography and reference footnotes are not counted in the 7500-word limit. Textual or explanatory footnotes or asterisked remarks are counted in the 7500-word limit and cannot be used to circumvent that limit.
- Papers which have been previously presented at academic symposia or entered in other competitions remain eligible for the Ristow Prize.
The winner of the Ristow Prize Competition shall receive the following:
- $1000 cash award
- a one-year membership in the Washington Map Society
- publication of the paper in The Portolan – Journal of the Washington Map Society
- six copies of The Portolan in which the winning paper appears
The application deadline is June 1, 2018.
Questions may be directed to the chair at eedson-at-pvcc.edu