The Sons of the Republic of Texas, Inc. is pleased to announce the 2018-2019 Texas History Essay Contest. The competition is open to the applicants who must be graduating seniors in any high school. Each year, students are invited to submit essays reflecting their research and study of the Texas History and its relevance to the development of Texas.
The purpose of this Texas History Essay Contest is to encourage students to explore the pioneer spirit of Texans on the early-day frontier, their methods of accomplishing their goals under very difficult circumstances, and the results of their efforts that they can see today.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Graduating Seniors in any High School or Home School may enter.
- Senior students in History, English, and Government classes are encouraged to participate
How to Apply & Competition Rules:
To participate, the applicants must download the application form and submit with original essays and four copies and a CD copy to The Sons of the Republic of Texas, 1717 8th Street Bay City, Texas 77414.
The year 2018-2019 topic will be: “The Life of Mirabeau B. Lamar 1798-1859; The Father of Texas Education.”
- Each year, students are invited to submit essays reflecting an awareness of Texas history and exploring its relevance to the building of Texas.
- Essays are to be no fewer than 1500 words nor more than 2500 words in length (excluding endnotes and bibliography. and
- must be computer generated, double-spaced, on one side only of 8 ½” x 11” paper.
- Quotations from other writers are encouraged but must be acknowledged in the bibliography.
- Essays will be screened for plagiarism using standard software designed for this purpose.
- The application must be filled out completely, including academic information.
- Each contestant must submit an original and four (4) photocopies of their Essay for the judges (five in all) including a CD copy with contestant’s name, address, phone number and year of the contest and
- A copy of the application should be attached to each of the five (5) copies of the Essay submitted.
- The student must follow the format of the Chicago Manual of Style or Turabian’s Manual for Writers.
- Endnotes should be listed on one page and all references cited should be on a separate page.
- Information must come from a reliable published source (Books/Magazines) and students must acknowledge the author and publisher.
- Two internet sources are acceptable.
- All Essays submitted become the exclusive property of The Sons of the Republic of Texas
- 1st Prize: $4,000.00
- 2nd Prize: $3,000.00
- 3rd Prize: $2,000.00
Entries must be postmarked on or before January 31, 2019.