TechGirls is an Initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, invites application for the TechGirls Program 2019. This program is open to the students who have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies.
Table of Contents
Who May Eligible:
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are from one of the following eligible countries:
- United States
- Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia;
- Central Asia: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology
- Have strong English language skills
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States.
How to Apply & Competition Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit an online application form through the given link: https://legacyintl.org/techgirls/online-application/
- You are not eligible if you have traveled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
- TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
- Note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff or U.S. Department of State employees are not eligible to apply.
- This program is for girls between the ages of 15 and 17 years of age.
- If you are less than 15 years of age or over 17 years of age on June 1, 2019, do not apply for this program as you will be deemed ineligible.
- Applicants must have at least one additional semester of secondary school remaining in fall 2019.
- The online application requires applicants to enter profile/personal information, complete short essays, upload a Portrait image and submit a parent signature.
- Though the application allows for applicants to stop and return, they urge all applicants to be as prepared as possible when beginning the application.
The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Housing during program
- Double occupancy hotel or dormitory accommodations
- Meals during program
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
The 2019 TechGirls application opened on December 1, 2018, and closes at 09:00 PM EST on February 1, 2019.