In the encouragement of bystanders to become trained, equipped, and empowered to help in a bleeding emergency before professional help arrives, Stop the Bleed intends to put great efforts into training individuals to gain the ability to recognize life-threatening bleeding and intervene effectively. Therefore, to include students in this drive it has established National Scholarships for high school students for the academic year 2022-2023.
High school students that belong to the USA or its territories can make applications to take this scholarship. The scholarship will be awarded in two sets, i.e. based on video submissions and essay submissions. The awards will be allotted in three ranks, where the scholarship amount will range from $500 – $3,000. The winning students will receive this scholarship money for their post-secondary education and their respective schools will receive free STOP THE BLEED® Kits.
Stop the Bleed is a national awareness campaign and call-to-action. The STOP THE BLEED® Project was founded to develop programs that engage people and organizations so they get involved, take action and help the campaign grow. The Project is a public/private collaboration involving a wide range of non-profit organizations, government agencies, companies, and individuals who all belief in the importance of the STOP THE BLEED® campaign. The project is a very important subject matter as uncontrolled bleeding is a major cause of preventative deaths. The project spreads awareness about the cause because 40% of trauma-related deaths worldwide are due to bleeding or its consequences, establishing hemorrhage as the most common cause of preventable death in trauma.
Table of Contents
|Organization||Stop the Bleed Project|
|Education Level||High school|
|Amount||$500 – $3,000|
|Number of Awards||NA|
|Contest Deadline||5th May, 2022|
|Requirements||Video, essay and form|
Who is Eligible?
- The applicants must be attending high school in the United States or its territories.
- Homeschooled students who would otherwise be attending high school are also eligible.
How to Apply?
- A scholarship application form is to be filled out and submitted online.
- The applicants are required to make a 1-2 minute video or 200 – 500 words essay on either of the following topics:
- Topic #1: Describe or show how you think STOP THE BLEED® helps to enhance personal and community resilience.
- Topic #2: Describe or show how STOP THE BLEED® training can help at an accident before emergency responders arrive.
- Topic #3: Make the case: Do you think some or all students should be required to learn to STOP THE BLEED?
The project host organization will award three prizes as listed below:
- First Place
- $3000 Scholarship awarded to the student
- 30 STOP THE BLEED® Kits to the student’s high school
- Second Place
- $1500 Scholarship awarded to the student
- 15 STOP THE BLEED® Kits to the student’s high school
- Third Place
- $500 Scholarship was awarded to the student
- 5 STOP THE BLEED® Kits to the student’s high school
The scholarship application process, which commenced on 15th March 2022, will end on 5th May 2022. All interested students are requested to submit their scholarship applications as per the deadline.