The University of British Columbia is inviting the applications for the Spring Graduate Awards Competition. A number of University awards for the upcoming academic year are available to current and incoming graduate students. The competition is open to Canadian and international students to for pursuing master and doctoral programme.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Citizenship: Canadian, Permanent Resident, and International
- Degree Level: Masters, Doctoral
For Master’s students:
- Applicants must have completed, as of December 31, 2017, between zero and 12 months of full-time Master’s studies (or full-time equivalent).
- Successful applicants for Masters-level funding will not receive funding past the end of their 24th month in Master’s program.
- Applicants for the Rick Hansen “Man in Motion” Fellowship can be in any month of Master’s study.
- Students must be registered, full-time graduate students during the period of the award.
For Doctoral students:
- Applicants must have completed, as of December 31, 2017:
- Between zero and 36 months of full-time doctoral studies (or full-time equivalent). In cases where a student has transferred directly from a Master’s program into a doctoral program without receiving a Master’s degree, eligibility for doctoral funding will be counted from the effective date of transfer to the doctoral program. Successful applicants will not receive funding past the end of their 48th month in the doctoral program.
- Between zero and 48 months of full-time studies (or full-time equivalent) in cases where students proceeded directly from a Bachelor’s or equivalent program to their doctoral program. Successful applicants will not receive funding past the end of their 60th month in the doctoral program.
- Applicants for the Rick Hansen “Man in Motion” Fellowship can be in any month of Doctoral study.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To apply, applicants must submit the following materials to their graduate program at UBC:
- Completed Application Form – PART 1
- Completed Application Form – PART 2
- Canadian CCV – CGS-Master’s version
Applicants are required to complete the CCV from the Canadian Common CV Web site as part of their application. Refer to the Canadian Common CV – How to Complete the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s Version for details.
Applicants should access the .pdf version of their CCV by clicking “History” in the top menu bar when logged into the CCV website and download the theme. Pdf version of their CCV, rather than the .xml version.
- Academic records for all university-level studies (including studies undertaken but not completed) up to December 31, 2017. For institutions other than UBC, only official transcripts will be accepted. These may be original or certified true copies provided by the applicant’s graduate program. For UBC, the applicant’s “Academic History” printed from the SISC by the applicant’s graduate program will be accepted. Please note that students must request certified true copies of transcripts from their graduate program, not from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- One recommendation letter/form Only recommendation letter/form signed by the person providing the reference are acceptable; original, faxed, and scanned copies sent by e-mail directly to the applicant’s graduate program are acceptable. In some cases, a reference letter submitted for a previous scholarship competition may be used; see the application instructions for details.
The candidate should have a very good command of English language. Therefore, the application should be written in English.
- List of awards is available in the Application Form – Part 2. (In the Application Form – Part 2, students must clearly address their eligibility as specifically to the award description as possible.)
- The winner will receive $150 to $16,000.
- fill out the Excel nomination form:
- Maximum number of nominees for each award is specified in the nomination sheet under the award name
- For awards that specify “no maximum”, programs can insert rows to add more nominees
- For each nominee, copy the description of eligibility from their Application Form – PART 2 into the nomination form
- [Note that ROWS in the nomination form can be resized; columns cannot be edited]
- save the nomination form as PROGRAM_SPRING_nomination_form.xlsx (e.g. MATH would save the form as MATH_SPRING_nomination_form.xlsx)
- save each nominee file as PROGRAM_SPRING_LastName_FirstName.pdf (e.g. nomination file for student Jane Smith from MATH would be called MATH_SPRING_Smith_Jane.pdf).
- A complete nominee file will consist of:
- Application Form – PART 1 (PART 2 should not be included; it should only be used to fill out the nomination form)
- academic records of all university-level studies
- one letter of recommendation
- upload the nomination form and all nominee files into program Workspace G+PS Awards folder
The application deadline is May 25, 2018.