DTE Foundation presents to you the 25th annual sphinx competition for the year 2022. Like every year, the competition will be held in Detroit, Michigan, on January 29, 2022, at 7 PM ET. This is an excellent opportunity for the young Black and Latinx classical string players to participate and win an incredible chance to earn their way to a prize ranges between $3,000-$50,000.
The competition will be organized and judged by an internationally renowned panel of judges. You will also get a chance to perform with them and get mentorship from established professional musicians. Isn’t it great? This can be a dream come true opportunity for you. Even if you don’t win, you will still get a lot to earn through this competition.
Sphinx was established in 1997 by Aaron P. Dworkin with the ultimate goal to address the underrepresentation of people of color or minorities in traditional music. The Sphinx Organization is the social equity association devoted to changing lives through the power of diversity in arts. Sphinx’s four program regions – Education and Access, Artist Development, Performing Artists, and Arts Leadership – form a connection that creates and supports diversity and consideration in classical music at every level.
Here is a brief description for you concerning the following scholarship:
|Number of awards||Senior Division- 3 Junior Division- 3|
|Nationality||Domestic and international|
|Contest deadline||October 20, 2021|
|Application fees||Not required|
Who is Eligible?
Following are the eligibility requirements that need to be satisfied for participating in the following scholarship contest:
- The partipant must have the following instruments: Violin, Viola, Cello, and Double Bass.
- The participants in the Junior Division must not have reached their 18th birthday by January 29, 2022. The Participants in the Senior Division must be at least 18 years old but not have reached their 31st birthday by January 29, 2022.
- The participant must be a U.S. resident or have a valid U.S visa at the time of applying and performing during the final rounds of the junior and senior division.
- The participants must not have been 1st Place Winner in their division in any previous Sphinx Competition.
How to Apply?
To participate in this scholarship contest, the candidates are required to give an audition in the form of a video performance which must satisfy the following requirements:
- Each video file should contain only one item.
- Edited videos are not accepted.
- Piano accompaniment is recommended but not mandatory.
- The applicant must remain on-screen in the whole video.
- Videos uploaded must be smaller than 1 GB in size.
- Please allow sufficient time to prepare and upload videos.
Your next step is to complete your application and ensure that the below-given requirements are satisfied:
- Video audition – Please refer to the audition requirements for the applicable division and instrument.
- Current biography.
- Repertoire list.
- High-resolution headshot. Minimum 300dpi. (Professional photography not required)
Following are the list of prizes and awards for both senior well as junior divisions:
SENIOR DIVISION (Ages 18 – 30)
1st Place – $50,000 Robert Frederick Smith Prize, solo appearances with major orchestras, and a performance with the Sphinx Symphony Orchestra at the Finals Concert
2nd Place – $20,000 cash prize, performance with the Sphinx Symphony Orchestra at the Finals Concert
3rd Place – $10,000 cash prize, performance with the Sphinx Symphony Orchestra at the Finals Concert
Audience Choice – $5,000 cash prize, sponsored by Mercedes-Benz Financial Services
JUNIOR DIVISION (Ages 17 and under)
1st Place – $10,000 cash prize, solo appearances with major orchestras, performances with the Sphinx Honors Orchestra at the Honors Concert, nationally broadcast radio appearance on From the Top
2nd Place – $5,000 cash prize, performance with the Sphinx Honors Orchestra
3rd Place – $3,000 cash prize, performance with the Sphinx Honors Orchestra
The last date for the application submission for the following competition is October 20, 2021. No applications will be considered later that date.