Fondazione per l’architettura / Torino in collaboration with Ordine degli Architetti Torino and the Focus Design OAT are launching an International Design Contest. “Universal material and immaterial accessibility” is the core theme of the contest.
The contest is open to architects, designers and university students from Schools of Design and Architecture, on the accessibility and universal use of the historic center urban spaces in the Turin metropolitan area.
The goal of this Design Contest is to collect noninvasive concepts that can tackle the real urban challenges, enhance the intrinsic qualities of the context, correct criticalities, for high quality, effective and feasible design projects.
Who May Eligible:
Architects, designers and university students of the Schools of Design and Architecture can apply for this International Design Contest.
- To promote an open and multicultural approach multidisciplinary groups are welcome.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate in the contest, the documents and documents requested must be submitted via PEC to the address email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The theme (“Universal material and immaterial accessibility”) will be addressed with special attention to “Cultural Heritage”, understood in its broadest sense and including the tangible and intangible heritage of our historical centers.
- The official languages are Italian and English.
- The architects, designers and university students of the schools of Design and Architecture, under 25 (at the date of publication of the Rules), participants either individually or in a group consisting entirely of young people under 25, will also compete in the selection of n. 3 proposals to which special mentions will be assigned.
- In the case of groups, a group leader must be appointed, he/she will be the sole reference person for the Promoter.
- The group is a single entity for the purposes of the Design Contest and ownership of the submitted proposal will be acknowledged, with equal qualifications and rights, to each member of the group Participants in the Design Contest will be allowed to rely on consultants and collaborators.
- It is strictly forbidden to take part in the Design Contest (group leader, group member, consultant, collaborator) in more than one group, or to participate in the Design Contest individually while already participating in a group.
- The concept proposal shall include the following: A descriptive and technical report in a one-page UNI A4 vertical format, illustrating the guiding criteria with diagrams and images, the choices made with respect to the brief set in the Contest Rules and the type of intervention proposed.
- Table 1 – The vision (the theme of universal accessibility, open-ended approach) UNI A1 vertical format containing graphics, images, short captions and whatever may help describe the Vision model of the process, system, communication, ideally applicable to any urban historical context. The competitor is free to choose the table composition as well as the most suitable scale.
- Table 2 – Via Po, Turin UNI A1 vertical format with graphics, images, short captions and whatever may help describe the Vision model of the process, system, communication, applied to the target area of via Po in Turin’.
- Table 3 – Street leading up to the Castle in the historic centre of Moncalieri UNI A1 vertical format with graphics, images, short captions and whatever may help describe the Vision model of – process, system, communication, applied to the study area ‘the street leading up to the Castle in the historic centre of Moncalieri’ .
- Tables n. 2 and 3 might also include the concept for a material aid for accessibility and direct use, for all citizens, of public spaces and shops. The latter will be awarded a special prize by the Turin Chamber of Commerce CCIAA.
- In the concept proposed, special attention should be paid to communication, given the aim is of reaching a diversified audience and not only the subject-matter experts.
- The report and the 3 tables must be submitted in 4 PDF files (1 file per document). All files (report and tables) must be printable (300 dpi in the original format) and each of them should not exceed 5MB.
- The 4 PDF files (report and 3 tables) will be collected in a single folder named elaborate (concept documents) and marked with a random alphanumeric code of 8 characters, to guarantee anonymity (_XXXXXXXX).
- The content of the documents should, therefore, ensure anonymity, avoiding elements that are not strictly functional to the description and to the graphics parts of the proposal and which can identify the participants referred to in art. 3.
- No documents are accepted other than those indicated in the Design Contest or transmitted in ways other than those provided for in the following art.
The application documentation will consist of:
- A printed version of the electronic form signed and scanned
- A scan of the identity document (unauthenticated copy).
- The application documents must be submitted in PDF files (one file per document).
- The PDF files of the documents must not exceed, all together, the size of 5MB.
- The PDF files of the administrative documents will be collected into a single folder named documents and marked by the alphanumeric code of 8 characters (documents_xxxxxxxx).
- the two folders (concept documents and documents) will be collected and compressed into a single folder identified by an alphanumeric code of 8 characters (xxxxxxxx).
- In the case of competitors under 25, either individuals or groups made only of participants under 25, the alphanumeric code of 8 characters must be preceded by the initials U25 (U 25_xxxxxxxx). the folder shall be sent following the guidelines set in art. 8.
- A prize of € 6,000 is awarded to the winner (gross of the VAT and any other legal charges)
- A prize of € 3,000 (gross of the VAT and any other legal charges) is awarded to the second winner
- A prize of € 1,000 (gross of the VAT and any other legal charges is awarded to the third-ranked winner
- Special CCIAA Prize of € 2,000 (gross of the VAT and any other legal charges)
- 3 Special mentions are assigned to students / young participants under 25, who will be invited to carry out an internship at Pininfarina.
The application will close on August 31, 2018.