Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego in La Jolla, California invites applications for the Scripps Institutional Postdoctoral Award Program – 2019. This award is open to the applicants who have received their Ph.D. no earlier than January 1, 2016.
Each year, Scripps provides one or more twelve-month Postdoctoral Scholar awards with an additional twelve months of support, totaling 24 months. The Awards are highly competitive with a major emphasis on the potential for independent, creative research.
The Scripps Postdoctoral Award minimum salary/stipend is $62,000 and a one-time research allowance of $5,000. Each research division establishes a salary scale and policy appropriate for its area.
Who May Eligible:
To be eligible for this award, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- You must have received your Ph.D. no earlier than January 1, 2016.
- Candidates are required to have a Ph.D. degree completed by December 1, 2019.
- The Ph.D. must be completed prior to taking up the appointment (due to UC regulations – at appointment start date, you can have a maximum of 3 years postdoctoral experience).
- The intention of this program is to expose early career postdocs to new research opportunities and the facilities available at SIO/UCSD.
- All candidates are expected to have an excellent command of the English language.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To win this award, you need to do register through the given link:
- Candidate application materials including a current CV, summary of doctoral dissertation, statement of research, mentor support letter and two confidential letters of recommendation are due by October 12, 2018.
- Document requirements
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Summary of Doctoral Dissertation – One page summary (abstract) of your doctoral dissertation.
- Statement of Research – A concise statement describing your research interests (3-page maximum), in particular, those interests you’d like to pursue at Scripps as well as more general career plans and how a postdoc position at Scripps would complement your existing experience.
- Mentor Support Letter 1 – A mentor support letter addresses the mentor’s willingness to serve as a mentor, provides an assessment of the candidate’s training, former work, and suitability for the proposed postdoctoral project and includes access to appropriate facilities.
- Mentor Support Letter 2 – optional (if the candidate has an additional mentor)
- Mentor Support Letter 3 – optional (if the candidate has an additional mentor)
- Contributions to diversity description – Describe research or teaching initiatives that you currently use or plan to use to engage diverse communities in STEM education and research (Optional)
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
- Reference requirements
- 2 letters of reference required
- Reference letters are a key factor in the decision process and should document:
- Under what circumstances the referee has known you.
- Your previous accomplishments and potential for conducting innovative research in your chosen field.
- An overall evaluation of your past performance relative to other students at a comparable stage in their careers.
- Mentor letters should address the mentor’s willingness to serve as a mentor and also provide an assessment of the candidate’s training, former work, and suitability for the proposed postdoctoral project and include access to appropriate facilities.
- Awards are competitive with a major emphasis on the potential for independent, creative research.
- The Postdoc positions are for one year, and award twelve months of salary with a minimum stipend of $62,000 plus benefits and
- A one-time research allowance of $5,000.
- An additional twelve months of support will be granted (subject to satisfactory review), totaling 24 months.
- Appointees are eligible for health insurance through UC San Diego.
The application will close on October 12, 2018.
Inquiries about the SIO Postdoc Program can be sent to Leslie Costi at firstname.lastname@example.org.