The School of Social Sciences is pleased to announce the PhD Studentships for all nationalities to apply for a master’s course at the University of Manchester. The program is available to UK/EU and international students undertaking the full-time and part-time modes of study in Economics, Philosophy, Politics, Social Anthropology, Social Statistics, and Sociology.
Who May Eligible:
In order to be eligible, the student must meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must normally have Bachelors (Honours) degree (or overseas equivalent) at 2:1 level or above in a cognate subject
- Candidates must normally a Master’s degree at 65% overall average with minimum 65% in the dissertation and with no mark below 55% (or overseas equivalent) in a relevant cognate subject, preferably one with a substantial research methods component. Transcripts will be carefully scrutinized to ensure that applicants have the required background.
- Note: due to the volume of applications received each year, and limited spaces, regrettably offers cannot be made to all applicants who satisfy the academic entry criteria.
- All applicants who pass the initial assessment stage will be interviewed before any offer is confirmed.
- The award is available in the following areas: Economics, Politics, Social Anthropology, Sociology, Philosophy, and Social Statistics.
How to Apply for the Scholarships:
To apply, the applicants must submit the application with all the required documents the given link: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/how-to-apply/
A full online application which must include:
- Research proposal
- Two academic references
- Degree certificates and transcripts
- Name of preferred supervisor (to be included on the application form)
- GRE score (Economics only)
- This funding is available to all nationalities.
- This funding is available to students undertaking the following types of study: Postgraduate research
- UK/EU Tuition Fees
- Also, a small number of awards which will cover international tuition fees
- £14,777 annual stipend (to be confirmed)
- Students can claim for certain research expenses from the Research Training Support Grant.
- Funding will not be awarded to candidates who have previously received funding from any source for D. level study at any other University.
Deadline to apply is 1 December, unless otherwise stated.
- Deadlines for each Department as follows: (these are for consideration for School funding and the Research Councils – NWSSDTP and NWCDTP).
- Politics – 1 December 2018
- Economics – 7 January 2019 – specifically for NWSSDTP (further deadlines of 5 March and 15 June for other funding available via Economics – to be confirmed)
- Sociology – 1 December 2018
- Social Anthropology – Friday 1 December 2018
- Social Statistics – 1 December 2018
- Philosophy – 18 January 2019
- Applied Social Research – 1 December 2018
- In some circumstances, departments may consider applications received after the December deadline but providing they are received by Friday 1 February at the very latest (complete applications).
- NWSSDTP deadline (for receipt of official application) is 4 February 2019.
If you have any query, contact to Vicky Barnes, Postgraduate Admissions Manager, by Tel: 0161 275 4743 or Vicky.Barnes@manchester.ac.uk