To show appreciation for U.S. veterans who came to Korea’s aid during its struggle against communist forces in the Korean War, Samsung, and the American Legion have emerged with the Samsung American Legion Scholarship Program. The scholarship application is now open for the academic year 2022-2023.
The Samsung American Legion Scholarship has exclusively been established for students who are high school juniors participating or attending the current session of American Legion Boys State or Auxiliary Girls State and are preparing to start their undergraduate studies. The applicants that will be selected can be awarded up to $10,000 in support of their expenses dedicated to their tuition, books, fees, and room and board.
The American Legion, commonly known as the Legion, is a non-profit organization of U.S. war veterans headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is the nation’s largest wartime veterans service organization aimed at advocating patriotism across the U.S. through diverse programs. The American Legion is built on a promise from men and women who swore with their lives to defend and protect the United States through military service.
|Organization||Samsung and American Legion|
|Number of Awards||NA|
|Requirements||Form and Documents|
Who is Eligible?
- Scholarship applications are limited to students between their junior and senior years of high school who attend the current session of either an American Legion Boys State or American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program and are a direct descendant – i.e. child, grandchild, great-grandchild, etc. – or a legally adopted child of a wartime U.S. military veteran who served on active duty during at least one of the periods of war officially designated as eligibility dates for American Legion membership.
- Applicants who are direct descendants of Korean War Era Veterans will receive three bonus points.
- Applicants who upload a copy of current membership to the American Legion Auxiliary or Sons of The American Legion will receive a bonus point or may receive a bonus point by uploading a current membership card of a parent in The American Legion, American Legion
Auxiliary or Sons of The American Legion.
How to Apply?
- The applicants must first be sure to apply for admission to their preferred choice of any American university or college.
- The applicants must provide all documents required by their university or college and complete the admission process.
- Form DD214 (Official discharge certificate)
- Official “Honorable Discharge” certificate
- Form DD1300 (Official military death certificate)
- Official record of burial in a military cemetery issued by the National Cemetery Administration of the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Current or former military ID card
- Current or former LES (Leave and Earnings Statement)
- Official logbook entries from a military unit
- All applications for the scholarship must be submitted using the online application system of the organization and provide a Student High School Certification Form.
The winners of the Samsung American Legion Scholarship will be provided a scholarship award amount of up to $10,000 to contribute to their tuition, books, fees, and room and board. Winners will be selected according to their academic record, involvement in school, and community service:
- Ten National Scholars receive $10,000 each (two from each region)
- Ten National Runners-Up receive $5,000 each (two from each region)
- The remaining Department Finalists receive $1,250 each guaranteed
The applicants interested to participate in this scholarship programme must complete and submit their online application prior to 11:59 p.m. (local time) of Day 1 of their respective American Legion Boys State or American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program.