NASA, in partnership with NineSigma, is delighted to announce the Recycling in Space: Waste Handling in a Microgravity Environment Challenge to identify novel concepts in advancing the processing of waste products in a microgravity environment. The competition is open to all individuals over the age of 18 at the time of entry.
This is an opportunity for the public to submit proposals for components capable of storing and transferring trash to a thermal processing unit. They plan to award $10,000 to the first-place winner, and two $ 2,500-second prizes.
Table of Contents
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- The competition is open to all individuals over the age of 18 at the time of entry or
- The age of majority in said individual’s geographic location at the time of entry and to all validly formed legal entities in good standing which are permitted to participate by its charter or bylaws.
How to Apply & Competition Rules:
To win the competition, you need to do register through the given link:
- NASA employees are prohibited by Federal statutes and regulations from receiving an award under this Competition.
- NASA Employees are still encouraged to submit a solution.
- If you are a NASA Employee and wish to submit a solution, contact the Challenge Sponsor who will connect you with the NASA Challenge owner.
- If your solution meets the requirements of the Challenge, any attributable information will be removed from your submission and your solution will be evaluated with other solutions found to meet the Challenge criteria.
- Based on your solution, you may be eligible for an award under the NASA Awards and Recognition Program or other Government Award and Recognition Program if you meet the criteria of both this Challenge and the applicable Awards and Recognition Program.
- If you are an Employee of another Federal Agency, contact your Agency’s Office of GeneralCounsel regarding your ability to participate in this Competition.
- If you are a Government contractor or are employed by one, your participation in this Competition may also be restricted.
- Employees and family members of NineSigma and any of their respective affiliates and subsidiaries are not eligible to enter this Competition.
- All Entries mustbe in English and attachments may be submitted in .pdf, .xls, .xlsx, .doc,docx, ppt, or .pptx formats.
- Links to publicly available online videos (e.g., YouTube) or other sites can be included in your Entry.
- There is a maximum limit of 10 MB for 3 your complete Entry, including attachments.
total prize pool of US$15,000 available in
the form of
- one US$10,000 first prize and
- two US$ 2,500-second prizes.
- Successful entrants may also have the opportunity for future collaboration with NASA.
Entries are due by Wednesday, January 16, 2019, at 5 PM EST. No late submissions will be accepted