The Progressive Economics Forum is proud to announce a 2018 PEF Student Essay Contest on two levels such as one for undergraduates and one for graduates. The competition is open to all Canadian students who are studying in Canada and abroad, as well as international students who are presently studying in Canada.
Through the contest, a cash prize of $1,000 will be awarded the winner of the graduate competition, and $500 will be awarded to the winner of the undergraduate competition.
Who May Eligible:
To be eligible, the applicant must meet all the following criteria:
- Open to all Canadian students, studying in Canada and abroad, as well as international students presently studying in Canada.
- All entrants receive a complimentary 1-year membership in the Progressive Economics Forum.
- The definition of “student” encompasses full time as well as part-time students.
- Students eligible for the 2018 competition must have been/be enrolled in a post-secondary educational institution at some point during the period of May 2017 – May 2018.
- There are two levels of competition: One for undergraduates, and One for graduates.
- Those who have previously completed an undergraduate degree or a graduate degree, and are returning to do a second undergraduate degree will only be considered for the graduate student competition. The same holds for the student who spends part of the academic year in a graduate program.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To enter the Competition, the applicant must download a submission form (English or Francais) through the given links:
- English – http://www.progressive-economics.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/PEF-Essay-Submission-Form-2017-2018.doc
- Francais – http://www.progressive-economics.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/PEF-fiche-dinscription-concours-2017-2018-fr.doc
- Eligible entries will be sent by email to pefessaycontest[@]gmail.com
- Entries will be judged according to the following criteria: substance and originality, writing style, composition, and organization.
- Entries may be on any subject related to political economy, economic theory, or an economic policy issue, which best reflects a critical approach to the functioning, efficiency, social, and environmental consequences of unconstrained markets.
- The only submission by the author(s) (i.e. one submission per person)
- Between 20-40 pages in length, and typed in 12-point font, double-spaced
- Referenced to academic standards (including any data)
- Written in either English or French
- Original essays that do not infringe upon the rights of any third parties
- Accepted on re-submission once
- Unpublished work
- Accompanied by a signed scanned file of the completed PEF Essay Contest Submission Form.
- A cash prize of $1,000 will be awarded the winner of the graduate competition.
- $500 will be awarded to the winner of the undergraduate competition.
- The winning essays will be published on the PEF website.
The deadline for the PEF Student Essay Contest is April 30, 2018.
If you have questions, contact at pefessaycontest-at-gmail.com