What is your American Dream? How will you shape American Democracy? American Evolution want to hear from you! That’s why they are calling on 8th – 12th-grade students to share their vision with Our American Story, a student video contest by American Evolution.
The ‘Our American Story: A Student Contest’ is open to all student who are enrolled in middle or high school or the homeschool equivalent in the U.S., its territories or its possessions at the time of entry.
“Our American Story” is a digital student contest designed to foster creativity, cooperative learning, critical examination, and discussion among our country’s next generation of leaders.
Winners in each of the three categories will receive cash prizes, and one lucky winner will receive the grand prize. In addition, the project that is chosen as the audience favorite will win a prize as well.
Who May Eligible:
- Each submission must be made by a team of at least two students.
- Each submission must be sponsored by a team leader, an adult of at least 21 years of age.
- The team leader must also certify that each team member is eligible to participate.
- Each submission must be sponsored by a school – private, public or homeschool.
- All students must be enrolled in an 8 – 12 grade or of those ages and home-schooled in the U.S., its territories or possessions at the time of entry (e.g., the fall 2018 semester), and be in good standing.
- Each entrant must submit a Parental/Guardian Permission Form and Team Eligibility Form (one per team), available on the competition platform.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit a single file video, jpeg images, an audio file, or PDF to the competition platform.
Note: If possible, record in HD (i.e., 1280 x 720).
- All entries must be received during the competition submission window.
- All entries must be submitted in English.
- Submitting a competition entry constitutes an agreement to adhere to the rules and stipulations set forth by the contest sponsors.
- Each entrant and team leader certifies, through submission of an entry to the contest, that the entry is the entrant’s original, creative work and, to the best of the knowledge of each team member and the team leader, does not infringe, misappropriate or otherwise violate the work of others, as protected under U.S. copyright, patent, trade secret or trademark law.
- Any individual team member or entry found in violation of any rule will be disqualified, and depending on the circumstances, the disqualification of any individual team member may result in the disqualification of his or her entire team
- Types of projects:
- Theatre Piece (including musical)
- Musical Performance (including song)
- Dance Piece
- Fiction or Non-Fiction Video
- Visual Arts (painting, drawing, sculpture, and photography, etc.)
- Performance Art
- Spoken Word
- Multi-Media Project
- Social Media Campaign
- A complete entry consists of a single file video, jpeg images (in high resolution ie 1280×720 if possible), an audio file, or PDF.
- Your piece does not need to include credits but if it does these need to be included in the time limit.
- Be visually striking, edited to a high standard, and should deliver clear and understandable messaging related to your prompt.
- Do not include any copyright material.
- Video entries should be no longer than 9 minutes.
- You must upload your video to the competition platform. If possible, record in HD (i.e., 1280 x 720).
- The entire video should be less than 9 minutes.
- Grand Prize – The grand prize of $5000 will be awarded to the winner’s affiliated school or association, and 10 iPad Mini’s will be distributed to the student team members. (One iPad Mini will be distributed per team member. If there are fewer than 10 team members, the remaining iPad Minis will be donated to the team’s affiliated school or association.)
- First Place Prizes in Each Category – First place prize winners will be selected in each category theme – democracy, diversity, and opportunity. Those respective winners will be awarded $2,000 to the affiliated school or association and ten $50 Amazon gift cards will be awarded to the student team members. One $50 Amazon gift card will be distributed per team member. (If there are fewer than 10 team members, the remaining $50 Amazon gift cards will be donated to the team’s affiliated school or association.)
- Honorable Mentions in each category – Two honorable mentions will be selected in each category theme – democracy, diversity, and opportunity. Those teams will be awarded $500 to the affiliated school or association.
- Audience Favorite – The general audience will select an “Audience Favorite” to receive $500 for the affiliated school or association.
The contest will open on August 7, 2018, and close on November 30, 2018.
For any questions about the submission process or guidelines, contact Lindsey Horner at firstname.lastname@example.org