Open Philanthropy brings to a scholarship program for the undergraduate students aims to provide support for highly promising and altruistically-minded students who are hoping to start an undergraduate degree at one of the top universities in the USA or UK and who do not qualify as domestic students at these institutions for admission and financial aid. They are looking for candidates who have demonstrated exceptional academic merit and are interested in using their careers to do as much good as possible. The scholarship targets students who are in desperate need of financial need. They plan to offer both full and partial scholarships, depending on candidates’ financial needs and the strength of their applications.
The application timelines for the scholarship will differ depending on whether candidates are applying for funding to attend university in the USA or the UK (or both). Candidates are welcome to apply for both fundings to attend university in the USA and funding to attend university in the UK in case they are applying to relevant universities in both countries. In such cases, candidates can submit a combined application by the earlier deadline and they will evaluate the relevant parts of their proposals on the same timelines. You can go to the scholarship portal for further information and timelines.
Open Philanthropy identifies outstanding giving opportunities, makes grants, follows the results, and publishes our findings. Our main funders are Cari Tuna and Dustin Moskovitz, a co-founder of Facebook and Asana. Open Philanthropy was originally incubated as a partnership between Cari and Dustin’s foundation, Good Ventures, and GiveWell. Open Philanthropy is made up of several affiliated organizations that research potential focus areas, investigate giving opportunities, make grants and investments, evaluate our impact, and share what they learn.
Following is the brief description of the following scholarship:
|Number of Awards||Varies|
|Application Fees||Not required|
Who is Eligible?
Following are the eligibility requirements for the following scholarship contest:
- Have demonstrated exceptional academic merit;
- Are interested in using their careers to do as much good as possible.
For USA Scholarships
- They are planning to apply to one or more of the following universities for an undergraduate degree starting in 2022: California Institute of Technology, Stanford University, University of Chicago, University of Pennsylvania, Columbia University, Brown University, University of California – Berkeley; and
- They qualify as international students for admission and financial aid at these institutions.
- Candidates who are applying to Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton, and Yale in addition to (one or more) of the universities listed above are also eligible to apply.
For UK Scholarships
- They have been admitted to the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge, or Imperial College London for an undergraduate degree starting in 2022; and
- They do not meet the criteria for “Home” fee status in England.
- Applicants seeking funding to attend one of the above-listed universities in the UK should only apply (using the same form) once they have received offers from one or more of these universities, which will generally be in mid-January.
How to Apply?
The interested individuals are required to submit the application form given on the scholarship portal and submit it.
The application form mostly just asks for pretty straightforward information about candidates’ academic records (similar to the information they will provide for university applications) and their family’s financial situation (similar to the information requested by university financial aid offices, to help us assess financial need).
In addition, candidates will need to respond to three brief essay questions (1,500 characters each, which corresponds to ~250 words apiece). It’s probably worth spending a bit of time thinking about your answers to these questions, but we generally think candidates shouldn’t invest more than two to three hours into actually writing/polishing their submissions.
All of the applications submitted by you will be reviewed and judged by the selection committee and out of all, the most deserving candidates will be selected as the winners of the following scholarship. The winners will receive the funding for their education at their respected universities.
The deadline for the application submission for the following scholarship is as follows:
- For USA scholarships: October 1, 2021, at 11:59 PM
- For UK scholarships: March 15, 2022