Duke Kahanamoku Foundation (ODKF) has announced a scholarship for students. The high school seniors and full-time undergraduates can access the Duke scholarship and Aloha scholarships, respectively. The awards are a tribute to great swimmer and surfer “Duke”, provided to Hawaii students who imitate his character and inspire others to learn from his achievements. Each School will nominate three students for this scholarship program, and only 3 to 6 Hawaii students will be selected as finalists. And those students who are not selected as finalists and those who are not nominated by the school will automatically be considered for Aloha Scholarship.
The foundation is offering limited no. of scholarships to selected students based on academic performance, determined leadership and contribution in schools and other group activities, integrity, work experience, education, and helps the student based on their family financial status and tries to contribute in the same. The award offers around ten merit scholarships worth $15,000. Whereas three scholarships are awarded for aloha scholarships worth $500 each. These scholarships will help students to grow their careers in academics and sports, and will also help low-income families to cover the financial contribution.
ODKF Foundation was formed in 1986 by merging Duke kahanamoku Foundation and Outrigger and is a non-profit organization. The primary mission of this foundation is to provide financial support to Hawaii students who imitate the spirit and heritage of Duke. The total community investment has awarded over 806 grants and 1041 scholarships.
Below is a quick information table that gives an idea about the scholarships.
|Education Level||High school senior, undergraduate|
|Number of Awards||Duke(10) and aloha(3)|
|Contest Deadline||January 31, 2022|
|Application Fees||Not required|
Who is Eligible?
Applicant must be:
- High school seniors (for duke scholarship)
- High school senior and undergraduates (for aloha scholarship)
- U.S. Citizen
- Resident of Hawaii
- GPA of minimum 3.0
- Participant in canoeing, surfing, kayaking, swimming, diving, water polo, sailing, or volleyball, with a record of accomplishments and intention to complete in college
- In need of financial assistance
- They are actively demonstrating the aloha spirit through leadership and community involvement.
- Willing to stay connected to the foundation by volunteering, attending events, and giving back when able.
- Willing to be interviewed on film for publicity of Duke’s Night (awards ceremony) or scholarships.
How to Apply?
The participant who wants to apply for the Scholarship can get themselves registered to the site, and if already registered, then they should choose the alternate option provided there and read all the details. Below is the common required material for both scholarships.
- Online Application
- A personal statement
- Grades transcript
- Two letters of personal reference
- Athletic resume, which will include participant’s skills and work experiences
- Color photographs of applicant: 1 headshot and one sports action shot
- For Duke scholarship: FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR), or if not available, Federal Tax Return (Applicant’s Parent(s))
- For Aloha scholarship: FAFSA Student Aid Report(SAR), ODKF reserves the right to ask for further financial need documentation if needed.
- The student will be asked to provide details about themselves, including name, school name, duke sports(100 words or less), and to list their extracurricular activities outside of sports with participated no. of years and any other leadership positions or awards received(1200 character limit).
All the mentioned documents should be provided with the application and submitted to the official site of ODKF. Click on the below link to apply for the scholarship program.
Get yourself registered here.
The participants will receive awards ranging from $500 to $1500. Students who get selected for the Duke scholarship will receive $15,000, a total of 10 awards will be granted, and the students who get selected for Aloha scholars will receive $500; a total of three scholars will get this benefit. The amount will be used for the student’s educational requirements, and they get helped to depend on their family financial status. The awards will help them achieve their goals with a less financial concern.
The eligible candidates for the scholarship program have to submit their application with all required documents mentioned above before January 31, 2022. Delayed applications will be rejected by the portal, and the applicants will not be able to be a beneficiary of this scholarship program.