The Nikon International Small World Competition is provided by Nikon Instruments Inc. The Competition is open to anyone with an interest in photography through the microscope. Nikon Small World Gallery gives you a glimpse into a world that most never seen.
Every year, the top 20 award winners are displayed in many museums and science centers throughout the United States and Canada. For this contest, Winners have included both professionals and hobbyists.
Table of Contents
Who May Eligible:
In order to be eligible, candidates must:
- Any applicants with an interest in photography through the microscope.
- Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible, with the exception of employees of Nikon, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes, related accessories or photographic equipment.
- Entries have been received from the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, Latin America, Asia, and Africa.
How to Apply & Competition Rules
To participate, the applicants must submit an online application form through the given link: https://nikonsmallworld.magnet.fsu.edu/enter/small-world/
- Former first prizewinners are ineligible to win first prize in the three contests immediately following the contest they won but can win other prizes.
- Any image that has won any other photomicrography competition is not eligible.
- Photomicrographs must be taken using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of microscopes. All types of light microscopy and specimens are acceptable. Electron and any other microscopes that do not capture imagery using optical light technology are not permitted.
- Macro Photography is not permitted.
- The use of Nikon equipment is not required.
- No purchase is necessary to enter or win.
- Each entrant may submit up to three images in each contest for judging.
- A completed and signed official entry form, facsimile, or complete Internet entry form must be used. A separate entry form must be used for Small World and Small World in Motion.
- This contest falls under any rules and regulations for such contests by the laws of the United States.
Images must be submitted as follows:
- Digitally: Uploading to the Small World Competition entry area here. Images must be in jpeg, png, PSD, or tiff format and videos in flv, mp4, mpg, WMV, avi, MOV format.
- For images on film, a 35mm mounted transparency will be accepted. Glass mounts are not accepted.
Small World in Motion entries are further limited to:
- Movie length of no more than 60 seconds
- The use of sound is not permitted
- It is not permitted to add graphics of any kind
Top 20 prize winners are selected and ranked by Small World Judges.
- 1st Prize – $3,000
- 2nd Prize – $2,000
- 3rd Prize – $1,000
- 4th Prize – $800
- 5th Prize – $600
- 6th Prize – $400
- 7th-10th Prizes – $300 each
- 11th-20th Prizes – $200 each
The application will close on April 30th, 2022.