Nigeria Higher Education Foundation is delighted to announce the 4th Annual Scholarship Essay Competition. The competition is open to all students enrolled in their penultimate year are third-year undergraduates of a 4-year degree program or fourth-year undergraduates of a 5-year degree program at any NHEF Partner University.
The Essay Topics are themed around Technology, Youth Engagement, Gender, and Socio-Economic Growth.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- All students enrolled in their penultimate year at any NHEF Partner University are qualified to participate in the essay contest.
- NHEF Partner Universities include Ahmadu Bello University, Bayero University (Kano), University of Ibadan, University of Lagos, University of Nigeria (Nsukka), and University of Port Harcourt.
- Students enrolled in their penultimate year are third-year undergraduates of a 4-year degree program or fourth-year undergraduates of a 5-year degree program. NHEF will verify enrollment of each contestant with the University Registrar.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, all entries must be submitted an essay (2000 words maximum, double-spaced, (12pt Times New Roman), and numbered pages with one-inch margins excluding bibliography & title page) via e-mail to email@example.com
- Respond to one essay prompt.
- Only one essay may be submitted per student
- No literary form other than an essay will be accepted
- The essay must reflect the contestant’s ability to explore and discuss ideas and ethical concepts
- The essay must demonstrate the conduct of research and a sufficiently detailed summary
- The student’s name, university, and registration ID# must appear in the header section of each page
- References in the essay should be included and clearly identified
- Entries must be submitted in PDF format
- The submitted essay must include a Title Page, a Bibliography and a scanned copy of the contestant’s current student ID
- The 2018 Essay Topics are themed around Technology, Youth Engagement, Gender, and socio-Economic Growth.
- According to the National Population Commission, Nigeria’s population is currently estimated at 182 million, with more than half of the population under 30 years of age. Assess the importance of youth engagement in Nigeria’s socio-economic growth.
- “The higher education curriculum, in particular, always serves as a means of social control, legitimating [sic] existing social relations, representing somebody’s version of what constitutes important knowledge.” What are the benefits, if any, of instituting a gender-inclusive higher education curriculum in Nigeria
- Using a case study or example(s), explore how technology can drive social change in Nigeria.
- Grand Prize winner of the 2018 Essay Competition will be awarded a cash prize of N100, 000 with a year of paid tuition.
- The First Runner-up will be awarded a cash prize of N75, 000 with a year of paid tuition.
- The Second Runner-up will be awarded N50, 000 with a year of paid tuition
The deadline for submission is May 31, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. (WAT)