NASA Postdoctoral Program (NPP) offers exciting research opportunities to exceptionally skilled U.S. and non-US researchers to participate in continuous NASA research projects at a NASA Center, NASA Headquarters, or a NASA-associated research organization. These one-to three-year Fellowship arrangements are competitive and are intended to propel NASA’s missions in space science, earth science, aeronautics, space operations, exploration systems, and astrobiology. As a postdoctoral researcher or senior researcher, the Fellow will direct research of national significance and will work together with recognized U.S. and worldwide scientists. NASA Postdoctoral Program Fellows have caused vast and significant contributions to have advanced explicit science endeavors of NASA and the collection of general logical information in the space of astronomy, geology, aviation, science and astrobiology, cosmo-science, heliophysics, planetary science, and technology development.
The NASA Postdoctoral Program application cutoff times are yearly on March 1, July 1, and November 1. Researchers within five years of accepting their certificates are qualified to apply as a Postdoctoral Fellow; researchers who have received their degrees over five years already might apply as a Senior Fellow. After the first year as a Postdoctoral Fellow, researchers inspired by the management might apply to the Postdoctoral Management Program at NASA headquarters. Stipend rates for Postdoctoral Fellows start at $60,000 each year. Supplements are accommodated at the significant expense of living regions and specific scholastic specialties.
USRA was established in 1969, close to the start of the Space Age, driven by the vision of two people, James Webb (NASA Administrator 1961-1968) and Frederick Seitz (National Academy of Sciences President 1962-1969). USRA is an independent, not-for-profit research organization where the consolidated endeavors of in-house ability and college-based aptitude converge to propel space science and technology.
Following are the brief details concerning the subsequent grant:
|Organization||USRA & NASA|
|Education Level||Doctoral level|
|Number of Awards||3|
|Contest Deadline||March 1, 2022|
|Application Fees||Not required|
Who is Eligible?
Following is the qualification criteria for the concerning grant program:
- You must have completed a Ph.D. or an equivalent doctorate requirements before beginning the fellowship.
- U.S. Citizens;
- U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents;
- Foreign nationals who are in the U.S. at the time of application and on a valid J1 visa; and,
- Foreign nationals, asylees or refugees in the U.S. at the time of application with a valid EAD card and pending I-485 or I-589 forms.
- Since each NPP Fellowship is tied to a specific research opportunity located at a NASA Center or program institute, you must relocate to the Center or program institute that supports the opportunity you were accepted. In the case of virtual Centers such as the NASA Astrobiology Institute, you must relocate to your advisor’s university location listed on the research opportunity. Establishing and maintaining residency at the Center or the advisor’s location is required to begin the appointment and remain in the program.
- You must not have held an NPP appointment for five years before applying. NPP Fellows are eligible for another award five years after the previous appointment.
- Some NASA Centers may require a security or visitation clearance before starting your appointment. The NPP Center Representative will notify you in advance if a clearance is required.
- You cannot start your NPP appointment until all appointment requirements are met. It includes completing and returning all required forms and documentation to USRA. USRA will not issue an advance stipend check, start stipend payments, or approve relocation travel until all requirements are met
How to Apply?
The qualified candidates who are intrigued to apply must register on the Applicant Portal to submit their application to the NASA Postdoctoral Program. You may return and edit the application; you do not have to complete it in one session.
The further requirements and the details concerning the application procedure of NPP Fellowship will be provided on the official portal itself.
The fellows of NPP will receive the following benefits:
- Postdoctoral Fellow:
A Postdoctoral Fellow has held the doctoral degree for less than five years at the time of application. Stipend rates for Postdoctoral Fellows start at $60,000 per year. Supplements are provided for the high cost of living areas and certain academic specialties.
- Senior Postdoctoral Fellow:
A Senior Postdoctoral Fellow has held the doctoral degree for five or more years at the time of application. The stipend amount for a Senior Postdoctoral Fellow is based on the location of the appointment, experience (number of years beyond the doctoral degree), and career achievement (academic rank and professional title).
- Professional Travel Allowance
Fellows receive $10,000 per appointment year to support travel to conferences, meetings, and other activities (i.e., travel to field sites or observatories to collect data or required training) that directly support their research projects. The funds that are not used during a 12-month appointment period will carry over to the following appointment period.
There are many other benefits, like health insurance or relocation, that the Fellow will receive. The applicants are required to check through the portal.
The following scholarship contest is open for submissions till March 1, 2022. No one will be allowed to submit their entry once this date has passed. You are suggested to keep up with the deadline and make your submission as early as possible.