The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) is offering a range of highly prestigious scholarships to prospective and current college students pursuing civil engineering and engineering technology degrees.
The awards are open to students focusing on a four-year undergraduate degree in engineering who are either attending or planning to attend the UK, UL, WKU, or KSU and any other Kentucky state college or university.
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is a state-funded agency in Kentucky, USA. Founded in 1912, it is in charge of maintaining and reforming the transportation infrastructure of the Commonwealth.
Application Deadline: February 1.
- Eligible Countries: Applications are open across the United States
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The fund will award for Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE).
- Entry Requirements: The applicant must indicate that he/she is applying for admission to UK, UL, WKU, or KSU and any other Kentucky state college or university.
- Admissible Criteria: Applicants must check the following criteria:
- KYTC awards 10-20 scholarships to new students (freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors) each year who are either attending or planning to attend the University of Kentucky (UK), Western Kentucky University (WKU), or University of Louisville J. B. Speed School of Engineering (UofL) to obtain a Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE).
- Students may also attend pre-engineering courses at Kentucky State University (KSU), Kentucky Community and Technical College System, or other Kentucky state colleges or universities, and then finish their Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering at UK, WKU, or UofL.
- All scholarship recipients must be graduates of an accredited Kentucky high school, or high school graduates who are residents of Kentucky, and must meet the admission requirements of the university and its respective engineering department.
- Successful applicants for scholarships will have qualifications considerably higher than the minimum required for acceptance into the Department of Engineering.
How to Apply
To obtain this award, applicants must be applying for admission for Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering at University of Kentucky (UK), Western Kentucky University (WKU), or University of Louisville J. B. Speed School of Engineering (UofL).
To apply, the claimants must download the application (MS Word or PDF file) and submit to Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, State Highway Engineer’s Office, Scholarship Coordinator, 200 Mero Street, 6th Floor East Frankfort KY 40622.
Supporting Documents: Freshmen must submit the following:
- A copy of their official high school transcript
- A copy of senior classes and current grades
- A copy of their official ACT score report
- Two letters of recommendation
- A short essay describing the applicant’s interest in a career as a civil engineer with the Transportation Cabinet. The essay must be typed
Language Requirement: Applicants must have good command on English language (writing, speaking, and reading)
- The Cabinet has 80 scholarship openings each year that are filled with new and returning students. Currently, they are offering 30 awards for 2020-2021 school year. One scholarship can be worth over $51,000.
- First-year students and sophomores will receive a gross amount of $6,200 each semester, and juniors and seniors will receive a total amount of $6,600 each semester.
- Some of the benefits throughout and after completion of the award program are:
- 4-year scholarship
- $6,200 per semester for newcomers and sophomores
- $6,600 per semester for juniors and seniors
- Job placement after graduation
- A potentially rewarding and lucrative career