Korea Ceramic Foundation is pleased to announce The GICB International Competition. Artists from all parts of the world are welcome to submit works, both artistic and practical, made from clay (ceramics) or made with the theme of clay (ceramics).
A total of ₩100,000,000 (South Korean won) ($93,222) will be awarded in cash prizes in 2019, of which ₩50,000,000 ($46,620) are reserved for the Grand Prize Winner. The Grand Prize Winner will also be invited to a solo exhibition during the Gyeonggi International Ceramic Biennale (GICB) 2021.
The Gyeonggi International Ceramic Biennale (GICB) aims to establish a platform dedicated to promoting communication and exchanges between artists and the public. It as an exhibition is a gateway for newly emerging artists to acquire a presence in the global art scene – will offer diversified support programs that will help artists expand their worldview.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Artists from all parts of the world are welcome to submit works, both artistic and practical, made from clay (ceramics) or made with the theme of clay (ceramics).
- There are neither age nor nationality restrictions.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit an application online form through the given link: http://ic.gicb.kr/kor/main/index.asp
- All documents and the proceeding shall be in Korean and English.
- Applicants may apply as an individual or as a team (One (1) team is equivalent to one (1) individual applicant).
- Applicants must submit a portfolio with works created within the past three (3) years.
- The portfolio must include at least one (1) entry that is available for exhibition.
- This one (1) entry shall not have previously received an award in another competition, either domestic or international.
- Failure to meet any of the above requirements will result in disqualification in the screening process. In the event that an award-winning entry is subsequently revealed to have failed to meet the above requirements, prizes may be retroactively reclaimed.
- Exhibition space of each individual artist shall be no larger than 500cm (w), 500cm (l), and 250cm (h).
There are two categories:
- Ceramics as Expression
- Creative artworks, including sculptural works, objects, or installation works, that can be displayed indoors
- Video (Film), sound, performance, or viewer-participating works with clay (ceramics) as subject matter
- Ceramics for Use
- Ceramic works in the form of a vessel, even if they were produced as artworks and do not serve any practical function, are categorized as “Ceramics for Use”
- Creative ceramic works with practical functions or design elements
- Including tableware, teaware, lighting, accessories, and home décor objects
- Artist profile, exhibition proposal, portfolio (10 images; format: JPG; resolution: 300 pixel or above; artist’s statement), exhibition floor plan, installation guidelines
KRW100, 000,000(≒93,222.00USD) for seven (7) main nominees
Offline Exhibition Artist
- Grand Prize (1): KRW50, 000,000 (≒46,620.00USD) (includes purchase price) + GICB2021 Solo Exhibition.
- Excellence Prize (4):
- Ceramics for Use: 2 KRW10, 000,000 (≒9,324.00USD) (includes purchase price)
- Ceramics as Expression: 2 KRW10, 000,000 (9,324.00USD) (includes purchase price)
- Special Award (2):
- Ceramics for Use: 1KRW5, 000,000 (≒4,662.00USD)
- Ceramics as Expression: 1 KRW5, 000,000 (≒4,662.00USD)
The application deadline is Oct 31, 2018.