Joseph J. Fitzsimmons was the M.D and provided years of service to oversee USJF events. The scholarship is named after him to honour his contributions to the foundation. To be eligible, the candidate must be a US citizen enrolled on a School of Medicine in any of the fifty states of the US. The candidate must be a USJF member for three consecutive years and a member of the USJF charter club at the time of application. For applying, you have to fill the application form available online and at the USJF office and mail it back once you fill it. Additionally, send a copy of your letter of acceptance at the medical school. The last date for submission of applications is July 15th, 2021.
THE USJF, via its Joseph J. Fitzsimmons Scholarship Fund, aims to help physicians with their first two years of medical school costs while they continue their judo learning. God gifts us life, and it’s the doctors who save it. You are the ones who will be serving society for your whole life. Therefore, you deserve these kinds of helps and grants to build a better career for yourself. The scholarship will help you cover your education fees and reduce the obstacle faced due to financial reasons.
Established in 1996, United States Judo Federation is a non-profit organization that works in providing the national standards and guidelines for the development of grassroots judo for its students and members. They aim to serve and support the members in the American Judo Community while upholding the principles of mutual welfare and benefit.
Refer to the table below for further details:
|Organization||US Judo Federation|
|Number of Awards||1|
|Application Deadline||July 15, 2021|
|Requirements||Letter of Acceptance|
Who is Eligible?
The candidates eligible for the Scholarship is as follows:
- The candidate must be a US citizen of good moral character and social conduct.
- The candidate must be a USJF member for three consecutive years.
- The candidate must be currently registered.
- The candidate must be a yudansha.
- The candidate must be in his first or second year of medical school
- The candidate must be a member of the USJF charter club at the time of application.
- The candidate must expect to graduate as a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy.
- If you have a full government scholarship, you are not eligible.
How to Apply?
For applying to the scholarship, follow the mentioned guidelines:
- Fill the application form and mail it to the United States Judo Federation National Office, Joseph J. Fitzsimmons, M.D. Scholarship Fund, PO Box 338, Ontario, OR 97914-0338.
- You can collect the application form even from the USJF office.
- Send a copy of your letter of acceptance to a School of Medicine located in any of the fifty states of the United States.
- You are required to be available to respond to any committee questions within 96 hours of the questions.
The scholarship fund is supported through donations made from the judoka, families, and friends of Judo. Medicine is a critical field concerning the huge cost of education. The scholarship fund can help you aid your studies and get admission into the best of the colleges. You deserve to be supported as you will be helping the community and society once you complete your studies.
Your application should be received by the selection committee by July 15th. No entries received after the deadline will be entertained.