Students with a passion for photography are provided with an extraordinary chance to apply for the enormous scholarship program introduced by the James Alan Cox Foundation for Student Photojournalists. The U.S. high school students, college, or technical school students as well as the graduate students are cordially invited to join.
The awards are designed to appreciate and honor the hard and creative work of the creators by supporting them in their further studies. The applicant with the best portfolio which describes a story will be handed over cash prizes for their purposes related to their fields of education.
The James Alan Cox Foundation for Student Photojournalists aims to provide financial support to student photographers of high school and college-age. Through a variety of funding, including equipment purchases and scholarships for college and technical school classes, the foundation’s mission is to expand educational and developmental opportunities for student photographers demonstrating interest, talent, and financial need.
Who May Be Eligible?
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- The students must be United States citizens.
- The student’s school must be in the United States.
- High school students applying for these scholarships must have completed one year at an accredited high school (student must, therefore, be a sophomore or older) and should have taken at least one photography or related art class.
- College or technical school students applying for these scholarships must have completed one year at a recognized college, university, or professional school (student must, therefore, be a sophomore or older), and have taken courses in photography or photojournalism.
- Graduate students applying for a scholarship should be enrolled in a journalism or photojournalism program.
- High school, college, and graduate students should have at least one semester remaining at the time of the award.
How to Apply
Eligible students willing to apply for the scholarship program can submit their details through an online application form. The applicants are asked to provide each and every mandatory document as mentioned below with their applications to get consideration. Incomplete applications will be not be considered.
- Brief Essay
- 2 Letters of Reference
- School Transcript
- Financial Data
- High school applicants should only submit still photographs. The video awards are for college and graduate students only
- five (5) digital images for still photography submissions
- two (2) videos, with a maximum duration of 3 minutes each, for video submissions
- Parental Release Form for high school students (or those under 18)
- All submissions must be via the internet. We will not accept applications by mail.
- Label all files that will be submitted/e-mailed with the applicant’s name.
Winners of the competition will receive cash prizes as below:
- Five (5) Digital SLR Cameras will be awarded to five (5) high school students. (High school applicants should only submit still photographs. The video awards are for college and graduate students only.)
- Five (5) $2,500 scholarships will be awarded to five (5) college or technical school students, payable to their school. Four awards will be for video work while one will be for still photography.
- One (1) $2,500 scholarship will be awarded to one (1) graduate student, payable to their school, for video work.
The application deadline for the scholarship program is Midnight, the Evening of November 15th, 2020.