Home Furnishings or more popularly known by us as Interior Designing is becoming more and more popular with time, due to the ever-growing demand for modernizing homes and making them look more fashionable or sometimes more luxurious. Every modern home, hotel, office, a restaurant you go to, oftentimes you find yourself awestruck by the eye-catching interior design, especially the furnishings that have a perfect finishing that actually brings out that “luxurious look” that people love to see. But behind every eye-catching interior, there is a creative mind who has the capability to picture what things will be like, even before they are made and set the exact way. This creative spur is what makes home furnishing experts the most in-demand professionals when it comes to making the interior of homes and other premises fashionable.
Do you think you have that creative spur in you? Is Home Furnishings/ Interior Designing your dream career path? Do you really wish to follow your passion and put your creativity to some good purpose and receive high pay in return? Then the home furnishing industry is definitely the right career path for you. If you are in search of more valid reasons that will bring more confidence in you for taking the biggest career decision of your life, then follow this article till the end.
1. More about Home Furnishings
Let’s dive in deep into the home furnishing industry and get to know it really well before beginning with other important topics regarding this industry. At first, it is very important to understand that the home furnishings industry consists of three general areas: interior design, furniture, and silverware and other craft ware items. Each of these areas is equally in-demand and ideal for making interiors unique and beautiful.
Decorating the place you live in has been a trend since the beginning of civilization, and in this modern world, it is becoming more of a fashion and a thing of maintaining a status when it comes to decorating interiors. From furniture, doors and windows, ceilings to even glassware, everything is equally important in home furnishing and are an integral part of modern, fashionable homes. Although home furnishings solely depend on the taste of clients, this varied taste is giving rise to more unique ideas every day. A thing that is extremely popular in the 21st century is “following the trend”, and once a thing becomes a hit on social media, everybody wants it. People these days usually look/search for unique interior designs over the internet and then make their own choices. Hence, you can say, the internet and social media has played a great role in helping the home furnishings industry gain more popularity amongst people around the world.
2. Is Home Furnishings a Good Career Path in 2021?
Now comes the most important question, is home furnishings actually a good career path in the 21st century? And the answer is an absolute yes. As discussed above, since the trend of modernizing homes are increasing at a faster rate than ever, the demand for home furnishings professionals is increasing more and more every day.
Having the affordability to buy your own home is a dream of many, and when this dream comes true, people wish to add special features to them according to their own taste, and furnishing the interior is the most important one. And due to this consistent demand, the home furnishings industry offers numerous career options and many opportunities to use, enhance and hone your existing skills, and learn many new ones. So, you must have understood by now that the home furnishings industry can be an ideal career path for creative heads like you.
3. How Many Jobs are Available in the Home Furnishings Industry?
You must be wondering how many job positions are available in the home furnishings industry, what type of positions are ideal for you and so on. Let’s not talk much and jump right into the list of job openings in the home furnishings industry that are also decently paid, while some are highly paid too!
- Interior Designer: one of the best paying job positions in the industry, interior designers are always in high demand for their job role involves handling and understanding the demands of customers, creating competent designs, matching up to the taste of customers, and looking after their satisfaction. Interior design degrees are extremely popular these days, that also train you beforehand so that you can begin your career right away. The more experience you gain, the more popular you will be.
- Sales Managers are responsible for analyzing financial goals, costs and other important things, which also includes measuring the performance of sales, profit, and volume to increase efficiency and act on deviations. The role of a Sales manager is sure a work full of responsibilities, but it is very vital for the industry.
- Space Planner: A space planner is responsible for communicating with clients, must be able to author competent technical reports, deliver projects to desired quality standards, solve straightforward assignments and so on. The role of a space planner is somewhat similar to the interior designer but, a space planner needs excellent knowledge about the spaces and lengths of every place and how to measure the same.
- Furniture Technicians are the backbone of the home furnishings industry because they work with merchants and involve in the product development process. To become a furniture technician, you require a degree in Wood Science & Forestry and a minimum of 4 years of experience in the wood and metal industry. Apart from this, you will also be responsible for communicating internally with vendors and clients daily regarding technical details.
- Operations Manager: an operations manager is a professional who manages the operations of the entire career guidance centre and follows up with job seekers post the career counselling sessions. Your vital roles include collecting data from job seekers before and after the assessment, coordinating assessments, organizing the data in an effective manner, and schedule sessions for the on-ground career counsellors.
4. Educational Qualification Required
Usually, only a bachelors degree is required in order to become an interior designer, but your degree must focus on interior design, drawing, and computer-aided design (CAD). After completing your bachelor’s, you may pursue associate and master’s degrees to be able to work in higher positions.
5. If You Become a Home Furnishing Consultant, What Will be your Job Role?
In the home furnishings industry, a home furnishings consultant is one of the most popular job positions, which is also one of the highest-paid positions. A home furnishings consultant needs to have certain qualities to thrive in the industry; from being good at mathematics, having good communication skills to being persistent, a consultant needs many skills to become successful. If you wish to become a home furnishing consultant, one of the first things to consider is educational qualifications. A bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree is enough to fetch you a job as a consultant; although most home furnishing consultants have a college degree, it’s possible to become one with only a high school degree or GED.
6. Highest Paying Jobs
If you are concerned about the highest paid jobs in the home furnishings industry, then have a look at this list below:
- Interior Designers make approximately $49,810 annually, which is $23.95 per hour.
- Home Furnishing Consultant makes $34,255 annually with an average of $16.47 an hour.
- A Space Planner makes $64,723 annually on average.
- Furniture Technicians make around $43,430 per year.
- The operations Manager make an annual income of $63,540.
7. Final Thoughts
That’s all you need to know about the Home Furnishings Industry before taking your biggest career decision. In this industry, you will not only get a chance to improve your knowledge and skills that can be helpful in industries such as home building, commercial banks, real estate, industrial/machinery components, precious metals, basic industry, hotels/resorts, packaged foods, and much more, but also get to explore your creative spur, and do something purposeful. Getting a chance to work for a growing industry like home furnishings can be the best decision of your life.
So, have you made up your mind yet? Which position will you begin with? Whichever position you choose, we will be glad to have helped you in taking the right career decision. If you know someone who would be needing this useful article, then don’t forget to share it with them as well. Good luck!