A student visa is an endorsement that is added to the government passport, which will permit the foreign student in order to study at country-qualified educational institutions. Any student seeking higher education in another country must get a student visa from that country. Every year approximately 130000 international students choose to study at Canadian universities. In addition to the high-qualities education system, Canada also provides numerous chances and vibrant culture for the students. Scientific publications, research, and international collaboration are the three of the main aspects that Canada and its academic institutions focus on.
But is difficult to get a student visa, also known as the Canadian study permit. Figuring this out will play a crucial role when you decide where you want to study as a student. So in this article, we will have a look that how it is difficult to get a student visa for Canada and how to get it.
1. Apply at the Canadian University and Get the Acceptance Letter
If you are interested in working in Canada, then you have to start working on getting the student visa application process. After being accepted at the Canadian university, you will get the acceptance letter that can be required for the visa application.
2. Check If You Need to Apply for a Student Visa or Not
Exemptions are always there. You can use the official Canadian study permit tool to find out whether you need a study visa or not. You do not need any kind of study visa if one of the following situations follows.
- If you are enrolled in a study program that lasts less than six months.
- You are a family or the staff member of the foreign representative in the Canada, who is accredited by the Department of the foreign trade, affairs and the development Canada.
- If you are a member of the foreign armed forces from the visiting forces act.
- If you are a citizen of the country, but you have an Indian status registered in the Canada.
3. Start the Application for the Canadian Student Visa
Once you get the acceptance letter from the university, it is high time to proceed to the next step, which is applying for the student visa, which is commonly known as the study permit.
A few steps to obtain the student visa is-
- Apply online by the computer or phone for the Canadian student visa, on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website before you arrive in the Canada.
- Send all the visa application documents by the post if you have a limited internet or you are not able to submit the documents online.
- Provide the acceptance letter of the university. The university must be recognized by the Canadian Government.
- Deliver all the proof of the sufficient financial resource in order to support your studies in the Canada.
- Present the proof confirming that you have no criminal record.
- Make sure to submit the clinical records that will state that you are in good health, and submit complete the medical examinations if required.
4. Prepare All the Documents That Are Required for the Student Visa in Canada
- Fill up the student permit application form.
- Keep the original acceptance ready provided from the university.
- A passport and other travel document, which will allow you to return to your home country. But if you are living in USA then is not necessary to provide the passport or other travel document.
- Two recent passport size photographs, must sure that it must be recent or not older more than two months. The photographs must contain the specification that include name and date of the birth on the back.
- A proof of the financial support during the study of the program. This means that you need to prove that you have between 10,000 and 11,000 CAD per year for successfully living in the country.
- A letter of intent.
- A proof that you have paid 150 CAD for the study permit fee.
5. Language Required for Studying in Canada
Proof of English language skills is not included in the list of the required document for the Canadian student visa. But unless you come from an English-speaking country, Canadian Universities will require you to submit proof of English language proficiency. The accepted language test include PTE Academic, IELTS Academic, and TOEFL iBT.
6. Biometric Appointment and the Interview
Depending upon the nationality, you might have to show up at the Visa Application Centre in the country to have the biometrics taken. The biometric fee is approximately 85 CAD. This fee is added to the regular visa application fee. Some of the countries are exempt from the biometrics requirement, so citizens would not need to visit an application center at all. It completely depends on the situation of the individual, and you might also be called for an interview process. Local visa application centers can also charge a small fee that will be taken for using the services.
7. How Long Does It Take to Receive the Canadian Study Permit?
After applying for the Canadian study permit, the processing time may take up to 90 days, but it is usually faster. This also depends on the situation in your home country. You can also use the Student Direct Stream in order to get the study permit faster. The fees will start at 150 CAD and the processing time is approximately around 20 calendar days.