The International Housewares Association (IHA) is offering applications for the 2019 Housewares Student Design Competition. This competition is open to undergraduate and graduates industrial design students enrolled in a degree-granting program at any university in North America or other countries.
A total of $12,000 is available in cash prizes. Winners will be invited to the 2019 International Home + Housewares Show (2nd–5th March 2019, McCormick Place, Chicago). Winners’ schools will also receive $3,000.
Table of Contents
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Undergraduate and graduate industrial design students enrolled in a degree-granting program at any university in North America or other countries may enter.
- Spring 2018 graduates are eligible if the project was completed before graduation.
How to Apply & Competition Rules:
To win the competition, you need to do register through the given link: https://www.housewares.org/show/studentdesign
Mail your entry to- Vicki Matranga, IHA Student Design Competition, 6400 Shafer Court, Suite 650, Rosemont, IL 60018
- A student may enter more than one project.
- Team projects are allowed. If a team project is selected as a winner, IHA pays for travel for one student and the team splits the cash award.
- Upload your process book (PDF size limit is 25MB)
- Your name and school name should not appear anywhere in the process book.
- The book should tell the story of your process and include:
- View of the final concept
- Sketches showing the development. Show ideas that were discarded and why you chose your solution.
- User observations and human factors evaluations
- Market positioning/opportunity space: compare available products and explain your product’s unique features
- Mechanical or technical layout
- Exploded views with individual parts listed
- An image of a 3D model or prototype that shows the product in physical form and in the context of the user environment. This model should validate your concept.
- Upload a jpg of your product. This image will identify your project for the judges.
- You will receive a confirmation email with your entry number in the subject line. Print the completed entry form—your entry number will appear at the top.
- Write this entry number on the hard copy of your process book.
- Your name and school name should not appear anywhere on your entry. This assures all entries are anonymous for the judges.
- Your process booklet should be a maximum of 25 pages and in printed form no larger than 9” x 12.” A simple spiral-bound booklet is fine.
- No need to get fancy with a printed book.
- Judges allocate $12,000 in cash prizes. An additional $3,000 is donated to the winners’ schools.
- Winning projects are displayed in the Hall of Global Innovation at the International Home + Housewares Show (March 2-5, McCormick Place, Chicago)
- Winners receive travel, per diems and lodging for six nights (Thursday, February 28 – Wednesday, March 6). If a winner is from a school outside North America, IHA pays for travel from a U.S. location. Winners must be available for the exhibit and media.
- Honorable Mentions receive a small cash award. They are not required to attend the Show. Honorable Mentions are included in media information and their entry booklets are on view in the student display.
The online entry will close on December 18, 2018.