Research Grants Council, University Grants Committee is pleased to announce the Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme 2019/20. These fellowships are open to international students in Hong Kong. More than 250 Ph.D. Fellowships will be awarded for a period of up to three years in the 2019/2020 academic year.
The Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their Ph.D. studies in Hong Kong’s universities. The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$301,200 (approximately US$38,600) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$12,600.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Candidates who are seeking admission as new full-time Ph.D. students in the following eight universities, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience, and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
- Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit an online application form through the given link: https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/InitApplication.jsp
- Eligible candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number by 1 December 2018 at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00 before submitting applications for Ph.D. admission to their desired universities.
- Applicants may choose up to two programs/departments at one or two universities for Ph.D. study under HKPFS 2019/20.
- They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programs.
- As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.
- The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$301,200 (approximately US$38,600) and a conference and
- Research-related travel allowance of HK$12,600 (approximately US$1,600) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years.
- 250 Ph.D. Fellowships will be awarded in the 2019/20 academic year.
- For awardees who need more than three years to complete the Ph.D. degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities.
The deadline for initial applications is 1 December 2018 at 12:00 noon Hong Kong Time.
For inquiries about the Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme, contact us by email at HKPF@ugc.edu.hk.