To provide financial assistance to students of all ages to attend community colleges and gain access to higher education they could not otherwise afford, the Herb Block Foundation has established the Herb Block Scholarship for the academic year 2022-2023.
The Herb Block Scholarship is entitled to provide the selected students with $8,000 per academic year and up to $16,000 over the life of the scholarship. The scholarship winners will be selected on the basis of their citizenship and financial need. The award is utilized not only towards the tuition, but also fees, books and limited transportation and childcare expenses.
The Herb Block Foundation is committed to defending the basic freedoms guaranteed to all Americans, combating all forms of discrimination and prejudice and improving the conditions of the poor and underprivileged through the creation or support of charitable and educational programs with the same goals. It provides educational opportunities to deserving students through post-secondary education scholarships and promotes editorial cartooning through continued research.
Table of Contents
|Organization||Herb Block Foundation|
|Education Level||High school graduates, community college students|
|Number of Awards||Up to 100|
|Contest Deadline||13th June 2022|
Who is Eligible?
- The applicants must be U.S. citizens, Permanent Residents Alien, or must have been granted DACA, MD Dream Act or VA Dream Act.
- The applicants must reside in Washington, DC Metro Area.
- The applicants must attend a participating community college with 40 credits or less.
- The applicants must have never earned a college degree in the United States of America.
- The applicants must complete a FAFSA.
How to Apply?
- The applicants must apply for admission in one of the following participating colleges:
- Montgomery College
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Prince George’s Community College
- Community College of the District of Columbia
- Then, to apply for the scholarship, students must submit an online scholarship application form.
TheHerb Block Foundation will present a total sum of $16,000 to the selected college students. Up to $8,000 per annum will be provided for up to 2 years of study in one of the participating colleges towards tuition fees, books, and limited transportation and childcare expenses.
The applicants are required to complete and submit their scholarship application by the, now extended, deadline, i.e. 13th June 2022. Any applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.