Mystery Writers of America is pleased to announce Helen McCloy Scholarship. This scholarship is open for U.S. citizens or permanent residents only.
The Scholarship is seeks to nurture talent in mystery writing—in fiction, nonfiction, playwriting, and screenwriting. The applicants have an opportunity to win two scholarships for up to $500 each.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- The scholarship is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents only. Membership in Mystery Writers of America is not required to apply.
- The McCloy Scholarship is intended for serious aspiring mystery writers who wish to improve their writing skills.
- Applicants should not have received monetary compensation for novels, short stories, non-fiction, screenplays or play scripts in the crime-writing genre.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules
To apply, the applicants must download the application form and submit with required documents to McCloy.MWA@gmail.com Put “submission” in the subject line of the email.
Applicants are required to submit:
- One Scholarship application form, completed – 2019 McCloy Application Form
- One copy of the official description of the writing class/workshop/program (from college catalog, workshop brochure, or other.)
- One copy of a 300- to 500-word essay explaining the applicant’s interest in mystery writing
- One copy of a sample of mystery writing for judging: either a synopsis and 3 chapters from a novel, or 3 short stories, or 3 short nonfiction pieces, or 1 screenplay or 1 play script
- The scholarship committee may also require a letter of acceptance and/or syllabus or other documentation from the writing class/workshop/seminar to be attended.
MWA will present two scholarships for up to $500 each.
All applications must be postmarked by February 28, 2019